I need some info from you guys.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys n gals-

I tried a search but didn't really have any luck here...

I haven't had to much exposure to Apple yet but a few friends of mine have me really leaning towards picking one up. I am really interested in the 17" G4 Powerbook. I mainly use my PC for internet use, class use (writing papers using Word, PowerPoint presentations, Excel, etc...) and a bit of gaming here and there. I am in the USAF and will use it whenever I travel if that makes any difference at all. I know there are programs out there, Virtual PC?, that will allow an Apple machine to run a Windows program.

I've read bits and pieces of Apple info here and there but haven't really had the chance to talk with someone that is really knowledgable on the subject.

I would like to get answers to these questions, and anything else you feel is worth while for me to know:

1) Why is an Apple machine so much better than a PC?

2) Is an Apple faster than a comparable PC machine?

3) Can you run PC games on an Apple if it is something that you would like to do?

4) How long do the Powerbooks tend to last? I've been told a PC notebook usually goes about 3 or so years before it dies.

5) Will I be able to use my software that I have for my PC on an Apple with Virtual PC or is there a limit on how old the PC software has to be to work with the Virtual PC?

I'm sorry for all of the questions guys. I just want to make sure that I am making the right decision when it comes time to pick a machine up.

Thanks in advance for your help-

Shawn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    1) The interface is intuitive, the operating system is stable, and you don't have to worry about spyware/viruses.

2) No. A top-of-the-line mac is a bit slower than a high-end PC. But it is hard to compare PC's and Mac's.

3) Nope. You need Mac games. There are a bunch out there, but not Half Life.

4) I have a G3 Laptop for 5 years and it works great. It had a few problems (with the sound port and screen) but still chugs along.

5) Virtual PC will allow you to run your PC programs on your mac, however it is much, much slower than native Mac programs.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I'll add a bit more:

Windows XP is stable, as long as it's protected against viruses/spyware. This means virus and firewall programs. There are good free ones out there.

If you're looking at a PowerBook (which are nice) and you're already familiar with Windows, you shouldn't have a problem finding your way around OSX. It's a refreshingly clean interface. The analogy I like to use is that comparing a PC to a Mac (in terms of its interface) is like comparing a standard definition TV to a high-definition TV. It just looks and feels more engaging.

Macs don't come with MS Office applications, so consider that'd have to be an extra purchase. Some PCs will include part or all of the MS Office suite. Son't don't include any of it. So keep on eye on the included software when making a buying choice.

I think that PCs are a better value for your uses. If you were more media-oriented (music creation, DVD authoring, movie creation, movie editing) I would say Macs are the better value.

I'll default to the others for the other questions.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Here's something to take into account:

Windows XP can be made extremely safe with just a few security applications installed.

Third-party anti-virus & anti-spyware are a must.

Also, PCs are definitely faster for the money you spend (however much you decide to spend).

But good anti-virus and anti-spyware will run continuously, eating up a lot of resources. I don't know if that makes the speed issue a wash between Mac & PC, but it's something to consider.

It's a pain in the ass to have a shiny new 3.4ghz P4 and then have to install two or three applications that always run to make sure you don't get infected with the myriad malware packages bored jerks love to write.