itunes to a new computer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I looked over this forum and didn't see this question asked. I apologize for my ignorance if the answer is obvious. Since my ipod must be tied to one itunes, I need to switch all my 4500 songs from my old emac itunes to my new Power Book G4. How do I get all those songs from one computer to the other?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If it is a brand new PowerBook G4, then when you first set it up, there is an option to transfer things like your user account (and iTunes library) using a firewire cable. Very simple to do, it's what I did when I got my PowerBook to replace my iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    In any case, you have to do the music transfer from one computer to another (firewire target disk, ethernet, airport)... can't download the songs from your iPod to the new computer (if that's what you were wonderng.)

Any ITMS songs will have to be authorized for the new computer (it'll prompt you for that when you try to play them) ... don't forget to DEauthorize the old computer for the music if you get rid of it!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    The other alternative is if you have more than half the space on your iPod free, enable firewire disk mode on the iPod, drag you music folder on to the drive, then copy it on to the new Mac. See this page for more info. I used this method to get the music from my wife's old PC to her new one.