should i return my mini mac and wait for tiger?...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
newbie to the board, i bought my mac mini on the 11th of this month and registered here the day i bought it, but i wasnt allowed to post until today.

i really like my mac mini, but i feel a little duped that they announced tiger 10.4 on the 12th, not even a full day after i bought mine. i bought it from compusa. i really dont want to pay another $129 in a couple weeks for an upgraded OS. should i return my mac mini and wait, or return it and re buy it so i qualify for the up to date program?

this same thing almost happened to me with the powerbooks not too long ago. i was ready to buy a 15" model from compusa and they didnt have it. the next day, i go to the apple site and they have updated powerbooks with lowered prices.

i dont want to sound like an ass, but it was literally hours after i bought my mac mini that the announcement was made.

anyone think that a polite call to apple customer support might solve something?



btw, i already ordered a gig of ram for it, its a little slow when i few programs are already open, i really just want to keep what i have and not have to go through returns and such.



any advice for this newbie.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by slick

    newbie to the board, i bought my mac mini on the 11th of this month and registered here the day i bought it, but i wasnt allowed to post until today.

    i really like my mac mini, but i feel a little duped that they announced tiger 10.4 on the 12th, not even a full day after i bought mine. i bought it from compusa. i really dont want to pay another $129 in a couple weeks for an upgraded OS. should i return my mac mini and wait, or return it and re buy it so i qualify for the up to date program?

    this same thing almost happened to me with the powerbooks not too long ago. i was ready to buy a 15" model from compusa and they didnt have it. the next day, i go to the apple site and they have updated powerbooks with lowered prices.

    i dont want to sound like an ass, but it was literally hours after i bought my mac mini that the announcement was made.

    anyone think that a polite call to apple customer support might solve something?



    btw, i already ordered a gig of ram for it, its a little slow when i few programs are already open, i really just want to keep what i have and not have to go through returns and such.



    any advice for this newbie.




    are you in the US or the EU? They have different returns policies. BUT you can return unopened products straightaway - no questions asked. You could also try going to a reseller and taking it back and then buying it straight away again (as a new computer)!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Bad luck.



    Sure, I'd try the polite call to customer support; if that doesn't work, and you're up for the hassle, return the mini, eat the restocking fee, then rinse + repeat.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You could just take the receipt back to the reseller and ask that, procedurally, they return and re-ring the ticket. The new date would be on the new receipt and therefore make you eligible.



    It's worth a shot.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Talk to the place you bought it to see if they will post-date your receipt (since they probably have a return policy, they might even do a "paper" return). The Apple stores are usually pretty good about this (see the note about return policy). Failing that you can try and send in the paperwork anyways and hope that someone at Apple is having a generous day.



    Oh... and Apple's online policy is 10 days for a new model or price drop (on new equipment... refurbs are a different story). If you are inside that they work with you... so your story about a PowerBook is red herring.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by slick

    newbie to the board, i bought my mac mini on the 11th of this month and registered here the day i bought it, but i wasnt allowed to post until today.

    i really like my mac mini, but i feel a little duped that they announced tiger 10.4 on the 12th, not even a full day after i bought mine. i bought it from compusa. i really dont want to pay another $129 in a couple weeks for an upgraded OS. should i return my mac mini and wait, or return it and re buy it so i qualify for the up to date program?

    this same thing almost happened to me with the powerbooks not too long ago. i was ready to buy a 15" model from compusa and they didnt have it. the next day, i go to the apple site and they have updated powerbooks with lowered prices.

    i dont want to sound like an ass, but it was literally hours after i bought my mac mini that the announcement was made.

    anyone think that a polite call to apple customer support might solve something?



    btw, i already ordered a gig of ram for it, its a little slow when i few programs are already open, i really just want to keep what i have and not have to go through returns and such.



    any advice for this newbie.




    well i know you're a newb here so you havent been in all the discussions, but Tiger has been coming for a while. Hints at an April announcement have been coming since the beginning of the year. I know it really sucks, but perhaps if you had searched some rumor sites before purchasing you would have held off. That doesnt change your situation though, and I would say jsut call Apple and talk to the people for a while. They tend to be understanding, particularly if your purchase was close to the announcement.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    slickslick Posts: 34member
    no need to worry, i did the up to date thing on apples site, it worked. i put the date in as april 11th 2005 and entered my serial number, it accepted it and let me continue. $10.75 was the total. this really makes me happy. although, even though i talked about, i probably wouldnt have returned it, i like it too much.

    i know you guys are probably long time apple users and have kept up to date with apples rumors and such and hate hearing guys like me come here to ask these questions, i apologize. i am also not an apple basher, my post was more of a rant than anything else. apple seems like a customer care company and i had a good feeling they would have helped me regardless.

    please dont judge me by my initial post, that is not really me.



    this pleases me a lot, i am now going to try and sell my laptop so i can work up the money for a powerbook, although i will research first and atleast wait until tiger is out.



    again, sorry about the trouble my post may have caused.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by slick

    no need to worry, i did the up to date thing on apples site, it worked. i put the date in as april 11th 2005 and entered my serial number, it accepted it and let me continue. $10.75 was the total. this really makes me happy. although, even though i talked about, i probably wouldnt have returned it, i like it too much.

    i know you guys are probably long time apple users and have kept up to date with apples rumors and such and hate hearing guys like me come here to ask these questions, i apologize. i am also not an apple basher, my post was more of a rant than anything else. apple seems like a customer care company and i had a good feeling they would have helped me regardless.

    please dont judge me by my initial post, that is not really me.



    this pleases me a lot, i am now going to try and sell my laptop so i can work up the money for a powerbook, although i will research first and atleast wait until tiger is out.



    again, sorry about the trouble my post may have caused.




    no trouble, we're here to help.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Don't worry, slick. There are some here that always seem inconvenienced if someone they're helping doesn't have all the knowledge they do. We're all here to help each other. Don't apologize for what you asked, and don't think we've all gotten a bad first impression of you.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

    i know you guys are probably long time apple users and have kept up to date with apples rumors and such and hate hearing guys like me come here to ask these questions, i apologize. i am also not an apple basher, my post was more of a rant than anything else. apple seems like a customer care company and i had a good feeling they would have helped me regardless.

    please dont judge me by my initial post, that is not really me.



    Oh, don't worry.



    And welcome to the forums. It's a great place to get help, so you if need any type of help, don't hesitate to ask.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    slickslick Posts: 34member
    thanks guys, like i said, i didnt want to get off on the wrong start.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ipodandimac

    well i know you're a newb here so you havent been in all the discussions, but Tiger has been coming for a while. Hints at an April announcement have been coming since the beginning of the year. I know it really sucks, but perhaps if you had searched some rumor sites before purchasing you would have held off. That doesnt change your situation though, and I would say jsut call Apple and talk to the people for a while. They tend to be understanding, particularly if your purchase was close to the announcement.



    This is the crappiest thing i have ever read. "Perhaps if you had searched some rumor sites?" C'mon, you really think that all consumers should "search the rumor sites" before making a purchase? And, if they don't, be snide with them for asking a question? At least you were a little diplomatic, but still.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by progmac

    This is the crappiest thing i have ever read. "Perhaps if you had searched some rumor sites?" C'mon, you really think that all consumers should "search the rumor sites" before making a purchase? And, if they don't, be snide with them for asking a question? At least you were a little diplomatic, but still.



    YEAH, and he smells funny too!.
Sign In or Register to comment.