Record Labels Uneasy with Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
cNet had an interesting article on the record industry's growing unease with Jobs and the ITMS. They want more options, etc. You have to wonder how true this really is and if Jobs has any plans to keep them with Apple. Right now they need Jobs and ITMS but it might not always be that way. Any thoughts? Here is the article.

http://news.com.com/Music+moguls+trumped+by+Steve+Jobs/2100-1027_3-5671705.html?tag=nefd.top" target="_blank">CNet article

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I definitely think it's true. There have been rumblings about how the music industry has wanted to raise the price of some songs for a while now.

Eventually Jobs will lose out and capitulate. Jobs doesn't own a studio and thus he's still at the mercy of the RIAA etc.

I don't buy the garbage about wireless carriers being an option. Only if you like horrible user interfaces and customer service. The thing that makes the iPod/iTunes combo so enticing is that even with problems downloading tracks Apple has it set up so that I've always been able to "check for purchased music" and fix whatever problem I've had. I know that the carriers wouldn't offer this type of support.

The music executives are about control. Their whole value proposition is based around them being able to distribute music to stores and get your song/video on the radio. They don't see it coming yet but eventually it will be just as natural to use the internet for radio and television. We're a ways off but it's coming and when that happens artists will be able to decide if they want to go with a big label or utilize the internet offerings.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Whenever I see an article like this I always see it as some manipulation of the "press" by the record industry, rival MP3 makers, Microsoft to create buzz that somehow Apple is being unfair to all of them.

It's insane. Microsoft can't come up with their own online store with reasonable DRM that people want to use? Rival MP3 makers can't create some download software and DRM application that the record industry will work with? Apple forced the record industry sign an exclusive deal just to get on iTunes?

It's all nonsense.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

The music executives are about control. Their whole value proposition is based around them being able to distribute music to stores and get your song/video on the radio. They don't see it coming yet but eventually it will be just as natural to use the internet for radio and television. We're a ways off but it's coming and when that happens artists will be able to decide if they want to go with a big label or utilize the internet offerings.

The music execs have always been out of control and unethical too. They'd be the first to sue you yet they leak the very same tracks!

Before iTunes caught on they loved it. Before the store was out they wanted it. Its doing well and Apple is being fair as far as payments go and presenting a level playing field, and now they're just getting greedy. They see that they can sell a crappy ringtone for $3 and that gets them all hot and bothered.

Personally, I use iTunes store sometimes, but the stuff I really love I buy on CD. If the price of online downloads goes up, my number of online purchases will drop to almost 0.

The execs are just upset that they're not in the driver's seat. It took an outsider to see how to get it done in the first place. And now they're upset that they're not in control and that Steve tells them to kiss his ass when they want to increase the prices. And Steve isn't being difficult, he knows what the market and consumers want!

• Reply 4 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

The music execs have always been out of control and unethical too. They'd be the first to sue you yet they leak the very same tracks!

Before iTunes caught on they loved it. Before the store was out they wanted it. Its doing well and Apple is being fair as far as payments go and presenting a level playing field, and now they're just getting greedy. They see that they can sell a crappy ringtone for $3 and that gets them all hot and bothered.

Personally, I use iTunes store sometimes, but the stuff I really love I buy on CD. If the price of online downloads goes up, my number of online purchases will drop to almost 0.

The execs are just upset that they're not in the driver's seat. It took an outsider to see how to get it done in the first place. And now they're upset that they're not in control and that Steve tells them to kiss his ass when they want to increase the prices. And Steve isn't being difficult, he knows what the market and consumers want!

yeah the whole ringtone thing leaves me dumbfounded