Shuffle is cool, but...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I love my shuffle, but an hour and a half to load the songs? flash is pretty darn slow.

Also, apple must have a rounding error bug in 10.3.9 - the autofill puts 1 too many songs in the playlist, then gives you an error message saying that not all the songs will fit.

Besides that, no problems. In 10.3.8, I could only get iTunes store songs to autofill to the shuffle, leaving it 10% full - things are much better with 10.3.9, so upgrade if you are having shuffle problems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Sounds like someone used a USB 1.1 port instead of a 2.0 port. Or maybe a USB port on a bus that had other traffic. Either way not as fast as firewire though. Took closer to 20 minutes for me and none of those other problems.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Yeah, that doesn't sound right - I'm using USB 1 and it's not that slow. Do you have it set so your songs are being converted to ACC while being loaded onto you iPod?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yeah, that doesn't sound right - I'm using USB 1 and it's not that slow. Do you have it set so your songs are being converted to ACC while being loaded onto you iPod?

I am using the USB ports on the mini, whatever they are - but yes, I store everything as Apple Lossless, so that is probably it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I am using the USB ports on the mini, whatever they are -

You have a Mac Mini? It has USB 2.0 - something is definitely wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

You have a Mac Mini? It has USB 2.0 - something is definitely wrong.

I will try it again, and check the CPU and memory usage.

Maybe the problem is that I only have 512MB - if I was doing a lot of virtual memory page swapping as a result of the Apple Lossless -> AAC conversion, maybe that slowed things down.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

but yes, I store everything as Apple Lossless, so that is probably it.

That's why it is so slow transferring. Can't say on the other issues.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

That's why it is so slow transferring. Can't say on the other issues.

Yes that is correct. Transcoding (or in your case, encoding) takes a fair amount of CPU. I keep most of my MP3s at ~192kbps/VBR, and clicked the option to convert to 128k AAC. When I reshuffle, it replaces about half the songs on my 1GB shuffle (from a 4GB playlist that ends up on my mini), and takes about 15-20min at around 160-180% of CPU on my 2x2GHz G5.