My appologies, but... (Another LCD thread)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My Mac mini somehow isn't nicely complimented by it's beige benemoth deskmate, a 15" IBM CRT passing 7 years of age. It's bulk is tremendous, and given that I have two households I'm frequently moving between to take care of relitives, it's movement is extremely cumbersome and irritating. It's not time for it to be fully replaced, since it's functional, but I'd sure like to give it a preminent home at one residence instead of both. Also, XGA resolution is growing tired on me... thank GOD for expose. My eyes aren't fairing too well with it's imaging, either...

So, I've been seriously considering a push to a 17" LCD. The finances are available for a budget model, but barely, to the point where I'm very concerned with making an poor purchase. I've consulted several tech geeks who've been, despite their best intentions, running soley off their analysis of specs vs price to try and make the best choice. Frankly, I could have done as much, but I know that there's much more to be considered.

It also doesn't help that I live in Edmonton, a Canadian prarie city populated only by sparse helpings of neutered BestBuy and Futureshop outlets selling mostly analog LCDs. (And hordes of Compaq desktop sets, just to make your stomach turn a bit more) Finding a decent LCD among that lot is murderous to my patience, and more importantly to my mother's. Supply is very restricted as a result. For instance, the 172x is not available here. At all.

I'm comfortable waiting for a bit to make my purchase, but I'd like to have this upgrade in place by June. Is that a 'tad zealous?

Another thing: A lovely looking Sony LCD just appeared on the local market, as seen in this linl http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...9n32180n33002. It's specs are stupendous, but is it really?

Please, please give me a hand here. My head's about to explode from all this. Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackwave

My Mac mini somehow isn't nicely complimented by it's beige benemoth deskmate, a 15" IBM CRT passing 7 years of age. It's bulk is tremendous, and given that I have two households I'm frequently moving between to take care of relitives, it's movement is extremely cumbersome and irritating. It's not time for it to be fully replaced, since it's functional, but I'd sure like to give it a preminent home at one residence instead of both. Also, XGA resolution is growing tired on me... thank GOD for expose. My eyes aren't fairing too well with it's imaging, either...

So, I've been seriously considering a push to a 17" LCD. The finances are available for a budget model, but barely, to the point where I'm very concerned with making an poor purchase. I've consulted several tech geeks who've been, despite their best intentions, running soley off their analysis of specs vs price to try and make the best choice. Frankly, I could have done as much, but I know that there's much more to be considered.

It also doesn't help that I live in Edmonton, a Canadian prarie city populated only by sparse helpings of neutered BestBuy and Futureshop outlets selling mostly analog LCDs. (And hordes of Compaq desktop sets, just to make your stomach turn a bit more) Finding a decent LCD among that lot is murderous to my patience, and more importantly to my mother's. Supply is very restricted as a result. For instance, the 172x is not available here. At all.

I'm comfortable waiting for a bit to make my purchase, but I'd like to have this upgrade in place by June. Is that a 'tad zealous?

Another thing: A lovely looking Sony LCD just appeared on the local market, as seen in this linl http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...9n32180n33002. It's specs are stupendous, but is it really?

Please, please give me a hand here. My head's about to explode from all this. Thank you!

Stick with a name brand and you should be ok (IE, Sony, View Sonic, NEC etc), although alot of people opt for the el cheapo newegg specials and wind up perfectly happy with thier purchase. I've seen $1000.00 Sony LCD panels develop dead pixles within two weeks of usage while the BenQ/KDS/etc. last for years.

For a 17'' inch LCD I usaually say:

minimum 450:1 contrast ratio

16ms response time

brightness: 350 cd/m2 (though most 17''ers will be 300 or less).

Something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-341&depa=1

One thing is for certain though - you never know when you'll get a dead pixel. Monitor manafacturers don't actually make the panels, so opt for specs before name-brand / quality. Also check the dead pixel warranty - some manufacturers will have a no dead pixel warranty policy while others require at least 6-8 dead pixel's before they'll replace it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Go on ebay and pick up a 17" apple studio display for 350. It will look the best and they're pretty freaken good displays.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Go on ebay and pick up a 17" apple studio display for 350. It will look the best and they're pretty freaken good displays.

That's a good idea - plus, they look great sitting next to a mini.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    I dont think I can say it often enough, if you cant afford an Apple get a Dell.

Dell Canada have the 1704 Ultrasharp for 399. Im very pleased with the 1703 that I use everyday, and the 1704 looks like a nice upgrade in specs.

It has DVI, which is vital, as well as analogue, should you ever need it.

They arent the prettiest monitors around, but still looks miles better than the cheap taiwanese things.

The only reason I would consider something else because of special needs - small widescreen, or tv input.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Are they compatible with the Mac mini?