Emac Hard Drive Failure? - How to intall new HD - help Qs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Pretty much self-diagnosing that my emac 700mhz needs a new HD. I don't have applecare anymore much less went to take it in - Why did they have to make this beast so heavy? I am beginning to think apple screwed up when they made this overweight imac!

The Disc spins low, takes a LONG time to read disks or anything on the HD.

System prefs won't open. Items don't appear in their folders.

I have done an archive/install (same issues) and erase/intall and now I get a DOS-type log in screen when I log in as Admin with the correct password. The DOS screen asks me for a log in, I enter it, then it asks for password but will not allow me to type anything after that point.

My Mac dude said he can only chalk it up as HD failure or virus - but nothing is characterstic of a virus.

So, I want to replace the HD. I cannot find anything on apple support to help. I am very RIGHT brain and visual, so if you can help me find a link to help, that would be great.

Also, any other suggestions - before I do this? Any other ways to repair these issues?

I found 2 PDFS on lowendmac.com - is my emac 700mhz a 1st or 2nd gen?

-----

And while I have you, this emac has max memory. I just got a new ibook with 256. Can I take out a card from the emac and put it in the ibook or are the memory cards different? Thanks!

Jessica

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Hi craftymacgirl. It does sound like a HD failure. I was getting very similar problems when the drive on my new G5 imac went. Anyway.. eMac repair. There's this article which is pretty good and has a link to this site which has step by step pics. It is for the original eMac but I think that's what you have anyway. Hope you get it sorted.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thank you!!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    I'm sure you'll have it up and running in no time. On that same site is the distinction between the 1st and 2nd generation emacs:

2nd generation=800MHz and 1GHz eMacs with ATI Radeon 7500 graphics chip

1st Gen=700MHz and 800MHz eMacs with GeForce2MX graphics chip

Don't forget to let us know how you get on with it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Will do. The warning was a bit intimidating. I dont want to get electricuted like the site says. I think I will wait for some manly help ;0)