changing HD in ibook/PBook?...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i am going to either buy an ibook or powerbook soon, waiting to see what, if any, changes are made to the ibook.

with my current windows based laptop, i replaced my 4200rpm drive with a 7200rpm and it was a huge upgrade. i noticed that with the ibooks, the drive is a 4200rpm. would it be possible for me to change the drive out with my 60gb 7200 rpm drive? i am new to mac hardware and i dont know if this would mess it up in anyway.

i am going to sell my laptop so i can have the funds ready for the ibook/pbook, but i dont know what to do with that 60gb 7200rpm, sell it with my laptop or keep it?

i dont get an ibook and buy the powerbook instead, what i was thinking was get a 80gb 5400 drive with it, and put that in my mac mini and put the 60gb 7200rpm in the powerbook.

sorry for the rambling, just really want to know how easy/hard is to change the HD in the apple laptops and reinstall mac os x?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Well with the aluminum Powerbook you basically have to take it apart to replace the hard drive. It's not for the faint of heart or for someone who is not handy. It's definitely doable and there is a document that shows the steps to do it but if you screw anything up your warranty is void. If an Apple Certified Tech does it then your warranty is not void.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    slickslick Posts: 34member
    if i take my current hard drive to an apple certified tech, will they put it in for a fee, or do i have to buy one approved by apple and have them put that one in?

what about the ibook, any easier to install?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slick

what about the ibook, any easier to install?

Take a look for yerself.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 11
    holy hell, guess its not as easy as a hard drive compartment with a cover held on by one screw is it?

plan b, slick prays and hopes for new ibooks to come with ATLEAST 5400rpm drives, that would make me happy.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Not if you want the Apple industrial design.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    That is truly an interesting link. One needs to have some patience and just follow the steps and it would not be that difficult, I guess. Like slick said, it definitely isn't as easy as it was to put the 7200 rpm drive in my Dell Inspiron 8500.

Thanks for sharing this link. I am going to keep that handy. I might just put the original drive back in this Inspiron and sell it that way and use the 7200 in a new Powerbook.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Wow, I forgot all about this thread. I already about a powerbook, while back. Only thing I did to it was add ram, total of 1.5gb now. Great machine, I use it everyday.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by slick

Wow, I forgot all about this thread. I already about a powerbook, while back. Only thing I did to it was add ram, total of 1.5gb now. Great machine, I use it everyday.

Are you comfortable with the 5400 rpm drive then?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

Well with the aluminum Powerbook you basically have to take it apart to replace the hard drive. It's not for the faint of heart or for someone who is not handy. It's definitely doable and there is a document that shows the steps to do it but if you screw anything up your warranty is void. If an Apple Certified Tech does it then your warranty is not void.

I went into our Apple Store here a couple of weeks ago inquiring about putting a larger hard rive in my PB. The fellow there told me in no uncertain terms that Apple only swaps hard drives size for size and so Apple would not do it. He suggested that our local reseller would probably do it, but it would most definately not be an Apple drive as Apple does not supply their drives to anyone, and thus having the reseller do it would void my warranty and AppleCare.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Hehe. "Apple drives". What Apple drives? They're just re-packaged Maxtor's, Seagates, and Hitachis.

It might void your warranty, but chances are, they will install the same drive that Apple uses in their own computers.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

Are you comfortable with the 5400 rpm drive then?

yeah, i have no problems with the drive. its fast enough, 5400rpm drives are good enough for most, a lot better then those 4200rpm drives.