Digital camera recommendation needed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a Kodak Easyshare 4330 and I hate it. It devours batteries and it is big and ugly. Also, the video quality is garbage (I don't expect much, it's worse than my cell phone).

What I want is a compact camera, I don't much care past 3MP, that is attractive and good on power.

So I need recommendations. Also, should I care past 3MP?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Also, should I care past 3MP?

That depends on how large you intend to print. Printing at 8x10 from 3MP is pushing it - you can do it, but the results might not be that great. But it should be OK for 4x6 or 5x7. So the more the merrier .

I'm a Canon fan, so I'll recommend something from the Powershot range. I've just got the SD500 / Ixus 700, but that's 7MP, so probably total overkill. However, there are several models below that that should meet your requirements. Also, bear in mind that ultra compacts don't have as much manual control as some of the larger models like the S60/S70.

I am not familiar with other manufacturers, so I'll leave that to someone else to comment on.

Hope that helps .
  • Reply 2 of 54
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    8x10 would definitely be the maximum, and we might do that so I'll want whatever can produce a good 8x10. The cieling on this purchase is probably $500. I'd prefer in the $200 to $300 if possible.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Although I've seen decent 8x10 printed photos with 3MP, I personally think that 4MP should be the bare minimum.

I just bought a Canon A520 (4MP, 4x zoom, excellent battery life with 2 standard NiMH AAs, uses SD, etc) for $350 Canadian (figure about $250 US or less). I've only taken a couple hundred pics with it but it's been good so far.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I'm quite a fan of Panasonic's cameras, except that they have neutered some, like the FX2 unnecessarily. Battery life on their ultra compacts leaves a bit to be desired as well and their movie mode is only 320x240. They do take very good photos though and their Image Processor is probably the best of any company.

Canon is probably number 2, although contrary to the last poster I found the A520 to be one of Canon's worst cameras in a long time. In low light it struggles too much with noise and it has some issues with reds. Whether they were early problems and have since been fixed I'm not sure but certainly the model I saw was subpar.

Both of those two manufacturers have their pros and cons.

The last two I'd consider are probably Olympus, who I dislike for XD cards, or Nikon. Sony just doesn't offer anything for all the extra money you'll pay and the quality isn't as good as the other brands I've mentioned in my eyes.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    I have yet to see a single P&S camera that has good low light performance... Cheap consumer P&S cameras cannot defy physics.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

I have yet to see a single P&S camera that has good low light performance... Cheap consumer P&S cameras cannot defy physics.

True but certain models are quite a lot worse than their predecessors or the norm.

As an aside I've seen a Pentax DSLR do a very poor job in low light. I suspect the photographer was partially to blame there though.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    We've got a Nikon that has been very good for us. We use rechargable AA batteries with it.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

We've got a Nikon that has been very good for us. We use rechargable AA batteries with it.

I have a Nikon SLR 35mm that I really love, so I'm glad to hear that people like their digital stuff as well.

It's just that 35mm just isn't worth it anymore.

Keep the suggestions coming, people. This is all very helpful.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    I have a Canon PowerShot SD110 for on the go snapping and it works great. For occasions where I can carry a larger camera I have my Fujifilm finepix s3100 that works well too.

I like the Canon better overall for its size and ease of use.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Some shots from yours would be great. Also, how does it handle AAs? As I said, my battery life is terrible.

[edit]

What the hell happened to your post and my first response to it?
  • Reply 11 of 54
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Nikon is set to announce the D50 this week $599. It's an SLR aka interchangeable lenses. I love my D70 and am never looking back to Point and Shoot.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:

Some shots from yours would be great. Also, how does it handle AAs? As I said, my battery life is terrible.

[edit]

What the hell happened to your post and my first response to it?

I have no ideal what happened to my post. System hiccup I guess. It does very well with the rechargable batteries. I would say that we get off probably 50-60 shots minimum per set of two batteries and it isn't hard to carry an alternate set.

PM where you would like some sample shots sent. I'll send them full size so you can scrutinize them in whatever manner you desire.

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 54
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I got a Sony DSC-W7 a few weeks ago and I love it.

7.2MP, amazing battery life (rechargeable AA's), compact and solid.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    [email protected] if you please.

My problem with AA batteries is that it's a recurring cost. Even though it's nice to know you can get a backup set easy it's something you're always having to pay for.

I'm not a hiker, so I figure if I carry the charger with me on trips I'll be good to go.

Cake:

That looks like a really great camera, but do you think there's a functional difference between the 5MP and the 7MP models?

I'm thinking printing 8x10 and maybe a 1600x1200 desktop are as large as I'd go with it.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

That looks like a really great camera, but do you think there's a functional difference between the 5MP and the 7MP models?

I'm thinking printing 8x10 and maybe a 1600x1200 desktop are as large as I'd go with it.

Never looked into the W5, but they must be the same since the manual lists both cameras:

• Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:

My problem with AA batteries is that it's a recurring cost. Even though it's nice to know you can get a backup set easy it's something you're always having to pay for.

I don't think there's a current model camera that doesn't take rechargeable batteries. The benefit of a cam that uses AAs is that you can use alkalines in a pinch and the prices of rechargeable batteries is next to nil. Compare that to a proprietary Sony battery pack, for example. I paid $70 for mine for my older Sony.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

I'm not a hiker, so I figure if I carry the charger with me on trips I'll be good to go.

Oh no, we don't buy batteries for it. We use rechargable AA batteries. We put the first set in the camera and carry the second set with us. The whole 4 battery+charger combo was something I got for like $10.00 so it wasn't even some high end combo. I just mean that if you are out in BFE and have run out of juice, it is nice to be able to hit the store, grab some batteries and still get your shots in the event you hvae run out of even the rechargable juice.

Nick
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

Nikon is set to announce the D50 this week $599. It's an SLR aka interchangeable lenses. I love my D70 and am never looking back to Point and Shoot.

Is there any information available on the D50?
  • Reply 19 of 54
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I recently bought a PowerShot S410 and I'm quite happy with it. It's in your $200-300 price range, is not overkill with 3 MP, it is attractive, and the power lasts long.

The only not-so-good side to it is that you are limited to 3 minute movies even if you have a 1 GB card.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Anyone have any impressions on the ultra-slim cameras? (Like the Nikon Coolpix S1)

Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

The only not-so-good side to it is that you are limited to 3 minute movies even if you have a 1 GB card.

I do not understand why they do this. If I have space, fill it. Gah.