Powerbook Ram, upgrade through apple or third party?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know apple ram is always overpriced and a rip off. Yet, if I were to purchase a powerbook I would want at least 1gig of ram. What would be the best way to do this? Just get the 512 included and purchase another 512 or like 1G stick through a third party company? If so, what brand and what online store? Crucial?

I bought ram for my G5 before, I think it was "kingsington" or something along that lines. I just remember it was one of the top two recommended to me other then crucial(or it might have been crucial). What would be a good retialer? newegg.com?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    kinston? good ram
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

I know apple ram is always overpriced and a rip off. Yet, if I were to purchase a powerbook I would want at least 1gig of ram. What would be the best way to do this? Just get the 512 included and purchase another 512 or like 1G stick through a third party company? If so, what brand and what online store? Crucial?

I bought ram for my G5 before, I think it was "kingsington" or something along that lines. I just remember it was one of the top two recommended to me other then crucial(or it might have been crucial). What would be a good retialer? newegg.com?

thanks

Chikara,

Yes, you should get the extra memory, from a third party. Are you getting a 12-inch, 15-inch, or 17-inch Pbook. On the 12-inch, you would have to take out the 256 stick, so putting in 512 would only give you 768 total (256 soldered and 512 you put in). However, on the 15 & 17 inch models there is the single 512 already in there, and you can put a second 512 as you suggested.

Crucial.com is really great, if you don't mind paying a little bit more, and they always ship via fast and free delivery.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    I purchased some of the cheapest RAM possible for both of my Macs, and I installed it myself. I think Patriot is in the ibook, and PQI is in my mini. So far, I've seen no performance issues. Of course, I used faster RAM than required on both (PC2700 on the ibook, PC3200 on the mini). That way the RAM is underclocked and should have no issues whatsoever.

BTW, KINGSTON is the name.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    I plan on getting a 15inch powerbook or a 14inch ibook. What type of ram would I put in both of those? I figured they are both pc2700 yet I never really understood about the whole 184pin stuff ect. Because one site i saw had the powerbooks listed as needing 200pin or something? what is the correct pin?

thanks
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Desktop machines take 184pin DDR DIMMs, while notebooks take smaller, 200pin SODIMMs.

Here's what desktop RAM looks like:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...141-164&DEPA=0

And this is what notebook RAM looks like:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...211-109&DEPA=0

Hope those links work. To answer the second question, I think Powerbooks require PC2700, while iBooks only require PC2100. However, you can always get faster RAM than required, just not slower. IE, you can put PC3200 in the powerbook, and PC2700 in the iBook. Both will just use the memory at the required speed, not the rated speed. Not sure if that makes it clearer or not.

BTW, newegg.com is a good place to buy your RAM. It has some of the best prices in the US, and they ship FAST.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    yeah, now i remember everything well, I bought two 512 crucial pc2700 for my G5 from newegg a year ago. Thanks for the reminder :-D I am sure I will order from newegg again because I like their service.

Just to seal the deal...is installing ram in a powerbook easy?

I am pretty sure i will be getting either a 15inch pbook or a 14inch ibook. If teh ibook only has that one slot I might just order the ram through apple to save me trouble since the price difference will not be THAT huge. While if it is a 15powerbook I will probably just order an additional 512. Yet, is it easy to install the ram? I have only instaleld ram on my G4 and G5 and apple is nice enough to make that so easy I don't even need a screwdriver unlike PC's.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Not sure about the powerbook, but to upgrade the ibook, you just unclip the keyboard, remove the airport card, and unscrew a metal plate. It sounds more complicated than it is, but it takes maybe 20min.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    On the Powerbook, there is a door on the underside of the Powerbook. You take out one small screw, and you then have access to the SODIMM slots. Very easy. You just need the small screw driver.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    There you have it. This could almost be another sticky thread.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Hi!

I just purchased a powerbook (15") a few weeks ago. If you wish to get apple ram (more than 1 gig), get it directly when ordering. This will save you some money. However, I got 2 gigs of Kingston ram for my laptop, and it cost me only 400 Bucks for the ram, instead of 1000$ for the apple ram. Kingston is just as good (if not better) than the original apple ram. They might tell you that its not "Apple Certified"' but neither was mine, and it still works just great!!!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Has anyone ever bought ram from omni technologies? They have really cheap prices and I was thinking about ordering from them. They advertise a lifetime warranty if anything goes wrong.