Mac OS X Boot CD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What files do you need to create a boot CD/DVD. Do you just need Applications (Utilities), System, Library and Users. And is it possible to fit it all on a CD? Thanks for your help. I'm trying to recover an old hard drive (used with 8.6) and you can't start any of my computers with a drive that old.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7957



    BootCD basically mirrors your current setup on your computer onto a CD, minus all of the fluff. Set up the machine you're using now the way you want the machine you're going to boot to be set up.



    It works great, but boot is (obviously) rather slow from a CD.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by benzene

    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7957



    BootCD basically mirrors your current setup on your computer onto a CD, minus all of the fluff. Set up the machine you're using now the way you want the machine you're going to boot to be set up.



    It works great, but boot is (obviously) rather slow from a CD.




    cool thank you, I'm trying it now.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    It didn't work. I think I'll use my iPod as a temporary mirror instead.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    It didn't work. I think I'll use my iPod as a temporary mirror instead.



    you know it takes like 10 minutes to boot off the BootCD, right?



    here is something I wrote about it a while ago.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by slughead

    you know it takes like 10 minutes to boot off the BootCD, right?



    here is something I wrote about it a while ago.




    After 55 minutes it was still displaying the "login window starting" Anyway I put the old hard drive in my newer Mac and started up in FireWire target mode and plugged it into my new computer. Very simple and worked perfectly. It seemed to shrink my 3.09GB into 1.9 as well which i though was impressive.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    It didn't work. I think I'll use my iPod as a temporary mirror instead.



    sorry to hear that. BootCD worked well for me. a bit slow, but very nice as a backup cd with disk utility on it.



    me modem is still screwed, though, but that's another matter...
Sign In or Register to comment.