Radeon 9000 pro vs 9700 in 2D and quartz acceleration

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Everybody here, know that the radeon 9700 is far superior to the radeon 9000 pro in 3D.

But is there a big difference in 2D (photoshop scrolling or magnification for example) and Quartz accelaration with Jaguar ?

I am thinking to replace my old G3 333 with a dual PM 1,43 ghz ( i want to keep it from 3 to four years) in my office, where i used bureautic (not an issue for the choice of the video card) and photoshop. Of course i will love to have the snappiest mac os X avalaible. Thanks for you info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quartz acceleration uses the 3D part of the card, so the 9700 Pro will be faster.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Thanks Whisper, but is anyone knows if the 9700 is faster in 2D due a higher clockspeed of the core, and a better bandwitch of the memory ?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Powerdoc, basically, yes, however you will not notice the difference in everyday stuff as you do not play 3D games(?).

The 9700 is the absolute best on the market, but the 9000 will more than suffice for the tasks you will give it.

If it will cost you more than (equivalent in francs) $100, don't bother.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R:

<strong>Powerdoc, basically, yes, however you will not notice the difference in everyday stuff as you do not play 3D games(?).

The 9700 is the absolute best on the market, but the 9000 will more than suffice for the tasks you will give it.

If it will cost you more than (equivalent in francs) $100, don't bother.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for your advice.

PS : the franc is dead, now it's euro and euro are aproximately the same than the $. That's great for comparing the prizes.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by Powerdoc:

<strong>

......That's great for comparing the prizes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's prices not prizes....they are different....

Just a friendly reminder
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>

That's prices not prizes....they are different....

Just a friendly reminder </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks.