Steve Jobs is the double-agent master... Forget James Bond or Vin Diesel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
edit: subject line is a bit messed up but whatever...

This is so awesome. Apple pulled off a nice head-fake with Blu-Ray and being on the board, and then supporting a HD-DVD format a few weeks later:

DVD Studio Pro 4, Final Cut Studio?s professional DVD authoring program, is the first commercially available DVD authoring software that lets users burn their HD projects to high definition DVDs based on the latest HD DVD specification. DVD Studio Pro 4 will be demonstrated at NAB with a prototype consumer HD DVD player from Toshiba set to debut later this year

nice in HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray, whatever happens, Apple wins

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    That's the right thing to do. Apple shouldn't let their personal politics interfere with professionals who need to be able to attack as many markets as possible.

I want HD-DVD and Blu-Ray authoring in a future version of DVD Studio Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i'm not sure but, maybe its a general HD spec (both BluRay and HD-DVD will use MPEG4 H.264 video).

The difference between the two is essentially hardware. The contents should be the same, prepared differently. Blu Ray projects can be bigger (25GB per layer, 100GB quad layer is expected by 2007, 200GB octalayer 2010 or so) while HD-DVD is 15GB per layer.

Anyway, it should be trivial to have video/audio software prepare your project for one spec or the other.

Amd as mentioned, would be folly not to have support for all specs, expecially this early in the game.

Im betting on Sony for once. BluRay simly has sooooo much more capacity and the PS3 BDRom will really spread it all over the globe faster than HD-DVD.

at least in my opinion
  • Reply 3 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Im betting on Sony for once. BluRay simly has sooooo much more capacity and the PS3 BDRom will really spread it all over the globe faster than HD-DVD.[/B]

I thought BluRay's higher capacity made it the one to root for, but now I'm not so sure. BluRay achieves its higher capacity by having its data layer much closer to the read surface. This makes it more vulnerable to dust and scratches than HD-DVD.

Besides the almost-certainly temporary benefit that HD-DVD will be cheaper to produce, perhaps HD-DVD has a durability and reliability edge that might be worth the data capacity trade-off. There's still enough capacity with HD-DVD for high quality HD movies and lots of extras.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

edit: subject line is a bit messed up but whatever...

This is so awesome. Apple pulled off a nice head-fake with Blu-Ray and being on the board, and then supporting a HD-DVD format a few weeks later:

DVD Studio Pro 4, Final Cut Studio?s professional DVD authoring program, is the first commercially available DVD authoring software that lets users burn their HD projects to high definition DVDs based on the latest HD DVD specification. DVD Studio Pro 4 will be demonstrated at NAB with a prototype consumer HD DVD player from Toshiba set to debut later this year

nice in HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray, whatever happens, Apple wins

sunilraman: HD secret agent
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

sunilraman: HD secret agent

totally. the iLeader has bequeathed 2005 as the year of HD and i have heeded his call

i played with a sony HD 1080i 3ccd video camera today at SonyStyle in my city... it kicks azz... doesn't do progressive 'film-like' mode though, so i will go to bed tonite dreaming of JVC's 1280x720 24p high-def 'prosumer camcorder' mmmm... US$6,000

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/p...&feature_id=08