iTunes phone - just use flash!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
There's a really easy way for Apple to get iTunes into phones without needing cooperation from carriers. Develop iTunes software for PDA phones. I know that the Treo has a SD/MMC card slot (it acutally comes with MP3 software), and I'm sure some other phones can take flash cards as well. Just use the card like an iPod shuffle. This would also open up the market to people who have regular PDAs.



Sure, Apple may lose sales of iPod hardware, but what's really important is repeat sales of songs. There's also the marketing advantage of having a device to sell, but I think my idea would be easier and cheaper to implement. It would also be a way for Apple to prove the market for iPod phones, and could eventually convince the carriers to get on board.



Personally, this is the way I would want my "iPod". I'm planning to buy a Treo because I want to reduce the number of things I carry. If I have to buy another thing to play music, I just won't listen (and therefore won't buy!)

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I would buy a DRM equipped flash card for itunes use.



    F*CK the carriers. I like my phones unlocked and I like to buy my own songs.





    and I don't mind the DRM that apple has negotiated with the labels.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by tlee650



    Sure, Apple may lose sales of iPod hardware, but what's really important is repeat sales of songs




    no that's exactly the opposite of apple's strategy with itunes.



    ps: the treo is the ugliest phone i have ever seen.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Yeah, they don't make jack off the songs. A song is a buck, and I've heard Apple gets about 15 cents or something. I don't know what their profit margin is on the iPods, but it's a hell of a lot bigger than 15 cents.



    Of course they would sell more songs than iPods, but it still wouldn't even come close. Most people who have iPods do not get their music from iTMS. I think apple did a study once and it was something really small, like 10% or so of music on iPods came from iTMS.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

    Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

    Yeah, they don't make jack off the songs. A song is a buck, and I've heard Apple gets about 15 cents or something. I don't know what their profit margin is on the iPods, but it's a hell of a lot bigger than 15 cents.



    Of course they would sell more songs than iPods, but it still wouldn't even come close. Most people who have iPods do not get their music from iTMS. I think apple did a study once and it was something really small, like 10% or so of music on iPods came from iTMS.




    Yes, but right now they make ZERO off people like me. With this plan there is no hardware development cost. Software is relatively cheap to develop, and is a source of repeat revenue. Hardware is a one-time revenue event, but people keep coming back for songs. Even if only 10% of songs currently on iPods come from iTMS, what you really need to look at is the where the NEW songs on iPods are coming from. New iPod owners will load their current MP3 and CD collections, which I'm guessing make up a lot of the other 90%. If you can get an iPod/iTMS customer to buy most of their future music from iTMS, that's a success and that's where the money will be made.



    I'd love to read that study, BTW. Can you post a link?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 565member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by tlee650

    Yes, but right now they make ZERO off people like me. With this plan there is no hardware development cost. Software is relatively cheap to develop, and is a source of repeat revenue. Hardware is a one-time revenue event, but people keep coming back for songs. Even if only 10% of songs currently on iPods come from iTMS, what you really need to look at is the where the NEW songs on iPods are coming from. New iPod owners will load their current MP3 and CD collections, which I'm guessing make up a lot of the other 90%. If you can get an iPod/iTMS customer to buy most of their future music from iTMS, that's a success and that's where the money will be made.



    I'd love to read that study, BTW. Can you post a link?




    I think phones are the biggest future threat to iPod but not until one can load them with muisc more easily from the computer.



    No one wants to manage songs on their phone.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

    Originally posted by tlee650

    I'd love to read that study, BTW. Can you post a link?



    I remember it from one of those keynote videos. It might have been San Fransisco last year, but I'm not sure. I think it was one of the first ones where they were talking about Tiger. I don't know how to get it though, since they don't have a link on the Apple site anymore.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,115member
    an apple/moto/mokia/se/panasonic/whatever phone will be totally different.



    an iPod is as successful as it is for a few reasons, but the most fundamental one is: its made for ONE thing and it does it EXTREMLY WELL.



    To have an iPod phone / sat radio / voice recorder /fm radio / coffee maker / etc gets people confused. Although a radio with recording would be nice... but I guess thats why there are over 500 accessories for the damn thing...



    Anyway, what Im getting to is that Apple could have an opportunity to re-make a Newton-esque product line. A real PDA/Phone with also does Music playback. It shouldnt be an iPod that also does phone/pda/etc.



    the number one feature I'm looking for is a damn phone that syncs PERFECTLY with MacOS X and works as well/functional as my Nokia6600. Its really a mini computer.. really like it.
Sign In or Register to comment.