Mail.app 2.0 and HTML

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Will Mail.app 2.0 allow the creation of new email messages to be formatted as HTML as opposed to just the current 2 choices of plain text and rich text?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Will Mail.app 2.0 allow the creation of new email messages to be formatted as HTML as opposed to just the current 2 choices of plain text and rich text?

The notes on Apple's site seem to indicate that this will unfortunately be the default. I personally dislike html email, and so my first action will be to default it back to plain text. To be clear: I don't think that html emial should go away... it can be useful in rare cases (usually enriched email does the job better), but I dislike it being default.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Do you links regarding Apple's info?

I work in a cross platform environment. 200 Macs and 600 Win2K boxes. When email is sent or forwarded from Macs (Mail.app 1.x via IMAP/SMTP to Exchange Server) to the PCs (Outlook via MAPI from Exchange Server), any HTML possible data is wrecked. The PC user sees a million attachments, etc. Not cool at all. I hope Mail.app 2.0 fixes this. Not very elegant.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Ahhh, found it!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/mail/

"HTML Message Composition

Mail uses the Safari engine to format newly composed email using HTML."

This is interesting:

"Mail Server Quota Management

Display information about the amount of mail server storage used/available on compatible email servers."

Does this mean Exchange servers????
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Mail.app has had Exchange server support since 10.3. The only thing new on this front for 10.4 is that there is now support for Microsoft's proprietary Kerberos and NTLM v2 authentication methods.

The quota system is just adding in the quota signals that are optional in IMAP. I believe that Exchange server provides these.

As to the email server messing up on current Mail.app messages, that is because Microsoft messed up completely in implementing the enriched mail standard (part of the mail rfc's, and not to be confused with rich text/rtf... completely different). The current version of Mail.app (< 2.0) does not send out html mail (unless you use one of the plugins... I don't think we are in that case). Notice that this is completely Microsoft's fault. Mail.app even sends a plain text version of the message for complete compatibility.