I have an idea for the mythical apple pda

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was thinking this morning that a full (ipaq/Tungsten) sized apple pda with inkwell technology would be both useful and practical. The special thing about my idea would be, an incorporated cell phone. This phone would be very thin and light and would be removable from the pda.

The theory of this is that a pda is useful in everyday life and incorporated into the pda as a smartphone would compete with treo and windows mobile. The incorporation of the slide out removable phone would allow one to take only the phone when needed or wanted. This way reducing the geek factor of carrying the whole bulky treo/windows mobile phone.

as an additional idea what about having a shuffle like device also removable for the times you just want some music?

or combine the shuffle with the phone and have that removable?

what do you all think?

how about someone helping me out with a mockup?

Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    A detachable phone and/or iPod? Not a good idea...

The cell phone is no longer the device. Its a bluetooth head set with some electronic in you pocket or bag pack.

An all in one could be feasible, many other do it already (Treo, Qtek and to some degree S//E and Nokia as well). Having detachable parts doesn´t add anything but more parts to break. Rather I would like Apple to make a PDA with integrated music player with superb integration with a, say, S//E phone.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I see your point however the treo is really bulky compared with my sony-erricson T630. I use both devices for different things. and I would love for them to be integrated. When doing business the treo is excellent. when going out on the town it is just geeky. Having one device with the ability to break down into its component parts which do their job perfectly and integrate seamlessly would seem ideal. the shuffle does its job perfectly the phone does its job perfectly and the pda also. combine them and you would have a wonderful device.

The objection to the connector seems to me to be just a matter of engineering.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Phones must have extraordinary battery life or I won't use them. I tried the Treo path for awhile and the dang thing was always crying for juice, so ebay was the answer after i crushed it under my truck seat (accident!!) and got a new one from my provider with my replacement plan.

A device such as an mp3 player I can deal with nightly charge cycles as it isn't crucial to keep running, but a phone is essential and sometimes you can't charge nightly, so if it requires a lot of plug in time, this guy just won't buy the phone that requires such care. I would hope that any (phone type) device Apple makes would have extraordinary battery life or it would be on my junk list.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I think that the device that I am proposing would have such qualities. When the phone is detached from the main pda it would have its own battery. The pda part can charge nightly and also charge the phone part.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    yeah i say the only integration between portable music player and mobile phone be the ability for the phone to send something over bluetooth to interrupt your music/lower volume of/announce the call/something else the user can decide... when you have a call.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I think that the device that I am proposing would have such qualities. When the phone is detached from the main pda it would have its own battery. The pda part can charge nightly and also charge the phone part.

This would not work. The cell phone has to have some sort of lcd too. In addtion, the specs of a pda would not allow for a cell phones. Cell phones are narrow, and not usualy not very thin. A PDA is usualy very thin, sometimes and often as thin as an iPod Shuffle for instance. The Cell Phone would have to been thinner than that for it to be detacthable, and not only would that be not be practicle, it would be ugly. No one wants to be talking to a peice of paper. Also, width is a problem. If the PDA was not wide like most pda, you could have a built in cell phone, but because then you have a smalled screen size, it is not a PDA anymore and now a cellphone.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    my sony ericcson t630 is about as thick as my ipaq

and my Treo 650 is as thick as the 630 but 1/3 wider.

What if you made the device as wide as the 630 is long and had a large screen below. The phone could detach from the top

+++++++++

+++++++++ <phone part

+++++++++

*************** <pda part

sorry for the old school character illustration of the idea.

But, you get the idea, no?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The pros simply doesn´t match the cons.

Go all-in-one (with bluetooth headset) or go separate devises with bluetooth integration. Do not go detachable/breakable.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The pros simply doesn´t match the cons.

Go all-in-one (with bluetooth headset) or go separate devises with bluetooth integration. Do not go detachable/breakable.

Problem is when you go all in one you end up too bulky.

sometimes the need is for a larger screen and sometimes the need is for sleek.

I have seen other pop out devices used in other applications and they seem to work out alright. Think of the pcmca type application. except the pcmca is the phone.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    I can't see a detatchable part/handset, but I could see a portion of the side frame that would fold up (hinge at the top) that would expose the speaker and microphone. That way, you wouldn't smear the screen with cheek sweat.

Bluetooth, of course, enables earpieces as described above.

Alas, Steve Jobs does not seem to want Apple to produce a PDA.

I hate, hate, hate tiny key pads.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ok, then let this die the lingering death of the forgotten idea.

no iphone,

no pda,

no combo....

alas...

but I will be back to bitch out if apple does such a device.

not likely though...