One Torrent, Multiple Clients?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I prefer Tomato Torrent but have never gotten more than a 9 K/s Download, usually closer to 3 K/s. I have a 3 mbps connection and would like to be able to download large files without having to wait days.

If I download one torrent using both tomato and, say, the official bittorrent client at the same time, will they compliment one another?

Any other way to speed things up? I can't find a way to modify the port range in TT....

And no, I'm not interested in 10.4.

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    uh gee, are you after that tiger torrent?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    It sounds like you have a NAT firewall in between you and the internet at large that is not allowing direct connects to your computer. That is the problem you need to solve.

Multiple clients will just have the same problem, and will step on each other's toes.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

uh gee, are you after that tiger torrent?

I might consider it when 10.4.2.torrent gets posted, but I doubt these pirates are THAT good.

I neither want a Rev A G5 nor an unproven OS.

But thanks for the snarky replies. That's two in one week.

(see how smilies make it all seem less snarky? )

--B
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

I might consider it when 10.4.2.torrent gets posted, but I doubt these pirates are THAT good.

I neither want a Rev A G5 nor an unproven OS.

But thanks for the snarky replies. That's two in one week.

(see how smilies make it all seem less snarky? )

--B

8)
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

It sounds like you have a NAT firewall in between you and the internet at large that is not allowing direct connects to your computer. That is the problem you need to solve.

Multiple clients will just have the same problem, and will step on each other's toes.

I've opened up 6881-6889 in Sys Prefs-->Sharing, and I've set the prefs accordingly in Bit Torrent but nada. I'm still getting 2.1 K/s.

I don't know much about AirPort Administration. Should I use Port Mapping to make these public?

Apart from the Airport and the Cable modem, there's nothing else between me and the www.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

I prefer Tomato Torrent but have never gotten more than a 9 K/s Download, usually closer to 3 K/s. I have a 3 mbps connection and would like to be able to download large files without having to wait days.

If I download one torrent using both tomato and, say, the official bittorrent client at the same time, will they compliment one another?

Any other way to speed things up? I can't find a way to modify the port range in TT....

And no, I'm not interested in 10.4.

--B

Try Azureus.

I constantly get better results with Azureus compared to bothe Tomato Torrent and the new 4.0.x Bittorrent client.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Yes, you need to map the ports on the AirportExpress... it functions as a firewall. You will not get better results from any client without doing that.

As to Azerus, I like it on linux, but am not real thrilled with it on MacOS X.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Try Azureus.

I constantly get better results with Azureus compared to bothe Tomato Torrent and the new 4.0.x Bittorrent client.

I have. Azureus is no better. I get the same slow speeds.

Any online resources that talk about this process??

I'm basically taking shots in the dark.

--B
  • Reply 9 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I started using Bits on wheels and get awesome download speeds.

You should open the ports on your airport. (The same ones on your computer firewall) And map them to your computer's IP address. That should boost speed. Azureus has a nice feature (the smiley faces) that report the status of the network. They should be green or green and yellow. If they never get past yellow, you probably have a problem.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Yes, you need to map the ports on the AirportExpress... it functions as a firewall. You will not get better results from any client without doing that.

As to Azerus, I like it on linux, but am not real thrilled with it on MacOS X.

Not being familiar with this...do I manually make all 8 (6881...6889) public ports? What do I do with the Private Port and Private Address fields?

BTW, how insecure is this?

--B
  • Reply 11 of 15
    So I found this, which is a how-to, but it doesn't seem to have security as a priority seeing as it assumes that the firewall is Off.

It recommends:

1. Share a single IP Address < 10.0.1.200

2. Set the range of public ports, using the same number (e.g. 6881) for both the public and private settings.

Also, if I wanted to use a port that is not normally used, what's a good one?

Could someone conceivably squeeze through this open port to try and bugger me? Would I be safer using a 'safe' User?

--B
  • Reply 12 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I've tried all the BT clients. Azureus is so far the best.

One thing: CHANGE the port to anything above 47000.

Many ISP will limit traffic on the default P2P ports.

I have mine set to 53286 (just random).

You can set it up to 90000 or somethng like that. And of course open the Firewall port as well.

Also, either set your upload limit to 0 or at least more than 10-15KB/sec. The more you upload, the faster you download as well.

There are certain closed sites Im part of from where I download at more than 500KB/sec
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Have a look at Azereus FAQ pages, they can usually help you.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Thanks, all.

I'm getting ok speeds depending on the torrent which is normal.

Never really got a straight answer on the security issue, but I guess sometimes the impulse to lock-down private stuff is brewed of inflated self-import.

--B
  • Reply 15 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    security in the sense of being anonymous? Its totally transparent to whomever is downloading the torrent as well. You can see all the IP addresses of people on the torrent. Its in one of the Azureus tabs for example.

As for speed, it also depends on how many Seeders and Peers there are. The more there are, obviously the faster the download.