Weird thing happened to Safari Last night..

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was surfin around Appleinsider and every now and then I would hear sound sample from little brittan play and then some music.

I just thought that it's something to do with an ad-banner or something, it seemed pretty random.

Then I noticed that it was happening everytime I hovered over the address bar in this one page in Safari.

Sure enough if I hovered over the address music (thats no on my computer) would start playing!!?!

I reloaded the page and the behavior went away!? I've not been able to replicate the situation...

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Was it just a weird bug in safari? some weird banner ad javascript gone wrong, or the first mac os x virus!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    it turns out to be coming from the ad banner at the bottom of the page. it has a flash banner that plays these samples when hovered over.

It's just weird that it triggers them from a completely different part of the page.

The banner comes from jamster.co.uk it's very annoying!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tadunne

I was surfin around Appleinsider and every now and then I would hear sound sample from little brittan play and then some music.

I just thought that it's something to do with an ad-banner or something, it seemed pretty random.

Then I noticed that it was happening everytime I hovered over the address bar in this one page in Safari.

Sure enough if I hovered over the address music (thats no on my computer) would start playing!!?!

I reloaded the page and the behavior went away!? I've not been able to replicate the situation...

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Was it just a weird bug in safari? some weird banner ad javascript gone wrong, or the first mac os x virus!?

AppleInsider is one of several websites that have chosen to support themselves using new types of ads that thwart ad-blocking software. Over the last two months or so, these ads have been the topic of numerous threads. Because the technology is still under development, your AppleInsider experience may be unpleasant at times.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    How come they don't try using Google Ads. I don't know very much about the whole advertising system, but I imagine it would pay comparable to anyone, and it's not very annoying.