Time to Upgrade?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've really been itching to pick up a new notebook. I'm not a high end notebook kinda guy. I have top of the line components on my desktop... but in a notebook... all I really do are business apps (Word, Excel, etc)... IMing, e-mail, and wireless browsing. With that in mind, the cheapest notebooks would meet my requirements. The problem I'm having is whether or not I should get a new iBook... or a new PC Notebook. I have an iBook G4 800MHz right now. I love it... but getting a new one wouldn't do much more than give me a nice speed boost. My 800MHz iBook is a bit sluggish (I can't really even scroll a page in Firefox smoothly). I just can't decide if it's worth it to upgrade since the machine I have is sorta ok for what I use it for. On the PC side, I'm looking at something like this... Compaq M2010US

It's a bit cheaper than the iBook and would pretty much do everything I need as well. I'm just not sure if I should hang out with my current iBook (although, I'm not sure how Tiger will run on it at 800MHz)and not get anything... or go with a new iBook or PC notebook.

Just looking for some good reasons to go either way... having trouble justifying to myself getting something new.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    The new iBook would be a bit sweeter - I have an 800Mhz G4 iBook as well, and it is okay 90% of the time, but occasionally it could use a little more power. Personally, I'm going to hang on another 6 months and buy a new Mac with Tiger.

If I were you, and in the market now, I would wait a few weeks - iBooks will get an update fairly soon I reckon, and then you will get Tiger as well. I personally wouldn't bother with a PC laptop - I just find my iBook works better than any PC laptop I've tried. Don't forget that apart from the MHz upgrade, you will also be getting an Airport card included in iBooks now.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    12 inch powerbook if u have the money...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    I would much rather save my money till I could afford a mac rather than wasting it on a windows machine. I couldn't imagin going back. In fact I would rather go without than go back.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I plan to order the 15.2" wide screen PowerBook in about a week, with student discount it's gonna be ?1535 + tax, which really isn't too bad at all for what it is.

That said, you might want to hang around for the new iBook's. They're supposed to get a speed bump, more standard RAM, etc, shortly. Now I don't know whether that's gonna happen this month or in two months time, but it will be soon.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I guess I can wait for a little while... if for no other reason than to have Tiger pre-installed. I hate to buy something just before they get upgraded... although... I doubt there will be a significant boost in processor speed (most of the incremental boosts seem to be in the range of 150-200MHz... not enough to make any real difference in what I'll be doing). I only picked up my iBook G4 (800 MHz) about a year ago... I upped the memory to 640 and, at the time, had to buy an Airport Extreme card. I think my biggest advantage now would be just waiting for Tiger to be preinstalled.