Top 6 reasons I think the eMac will see a big change... form factor

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Not listed in any order

#6 gotta keep it "a better buy" then the Mac mini

#5 Still with a G4, Apple was saving the Tiger 'event' to change the eMac over to a G5 (1.6-1.8)

#4 came out in 02' -time for something new

#3 Last update was more than a year ago

#2 Currently the only Mac with low ship dates

#1 remember at the Apple stores they replaced the eMac with the iMac in the kids section -in fact the last time I was at the Apple Easton store in Columbus Ohio... I think they had 1 eMac out?!?!

:::edit:::

oh yeah!, also.... the current eMac has a 1GB Ram limit..... if Tiger were to be 64 bit... and the eMac were to come with 512 (then it would require both slots- right? (two 256 MB chips) right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    crt or lcd?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

no it doesnt.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    eMac is comfy for .edu customers. Was before, and still is now. Not much news here IMHO.

It's a niche.. you are talking about taking it mainstream. That's what the Mini and iMac are for.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

Not listed in any order

#5 Still with a G4, Apple was saving the Tiger 'event' to change the eMac over to a G5 (1.6-1.8)

#4 came out in 02' -time for something new

#3 Last update was more than a year ago

#2 Currently the only Mac with low ship dates

#1 remember at the Apple stores they replaced the eMac with the iMac in the kids section -in fact the last time I was at the Apple Easton store in Columbus Ohio... I think they had 1 eMac out?!?!

you forgot:

#7. make it cheaper to built.

just like the iMacG4 - iMacG5 or the first iBook dual USB and the current iBookG4 the eMac is in for a facelift (or a little botoxing) it needs a cheaper shell.

#6. why? see my #7 as an answer why not

#5. that will steal a lot of $1,299 iMacG5 customers who will buy an almost equally equipped eMacG5 for only $799 = bad marketing

#4. current formfactor (other plastics, allright) of the iBook is from 2001, so...

#3. okay: 1.42 or 1.5Ghz G4/ 80GB and 120GB harddrive/ 64MB GPU?

#2. ?

#1. to sell more iMacs they have higher margins than the eMac and they look much sexier (sex sells)
    Quote:

:::edit:::

oh yeah!, also.... the current eMac has a 1GB Ram limit..... if Tiger were to be 64 bit... and the eMac were to come with 512 (then it would require both slots- right? (two 256 MB chips) right?

i geuss the issue with a 1GB ram max is virtual.

and i don't understand what you want to say. with the last part
  • Reply 5 of 6
    i don't think its a niche, just a different product segment. Its basically a low-end iMac. Giving it a G5 would seriously hurt iMac sales, so i don't think it will be getting one this next revision. PBook needs one first.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    An upgraded eMac could canabalise sales from both the Mac mini and the iMac even if the form factor remains the same.

It would usurp the Mac mini because it includes a display, keyboard, mouse and 7200RPM drives for less price than adding these items.

It could win sales from iMac based on price alone.

Sure the mini and the iMac have obvious sales advantages over the eMac; the visual appeal of the mini and iMac are the obvious drawcards and the iMac has the G5 CPU. But if a buyer doesn't mind the looks of the eMac or can get by with a slower CPU then it is a real bargain.

If the rumours are true then I ask you to give me a reason why I shouldn't cancel my order for a Mac mini with SuperDrive and get a SD eMac instead?