Is Toast Titanium necessary for burning DVDs?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Everyone seems to recommend Toast for burning DVDs...but can't I just burn a DVD using the Disk Utility that comes with OS X? Is there a difference in speed, quality, efficiency?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oceansize

Everyone seems to recommend Toast for burning DVDs...but can't I just burn a DVD using the Disk Utility that comes with OS X? Is there a difference in speed, quality, efficiency?

toast is very easy, but you can burn DVDs from the finder and disk utility - although I've never done either - I use toast! To burn in toast you need to create a disc image, or just insert it into the computer (you may need to change your preferences in the System Preferences) then choose open finder. You can then drag and drop, easy!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    to burn a DVD in Finder, insert a writable DVD, drag and drop anything you wants to the DVD icon and click the burn icon (if you've added it to your finder toolbar), or click and hold on the DVD icon for the option to burn.

Finder = definitely the easiest way.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oceansize

Toast doesnt require the OS to duplicate the files that are being copied to a temporary image. Instead, it can burn files from their current location (saving time). Also, by default, it doesnt do a verification of the disc after it is burned. So for most tasks with Toast you are simply saving time.

However, Toast also lets you burn discs in ways that the Finder cant, such as multi-session CDs and DVDs, hybrid discs (this is different than simple Windows compatability, which the Finder burn function supports), etc.

Also, you cant burn DVD Video discs from Video_TS folders via the Finder. Toast can do this, as can DVD Studio Pro (I dont think iDVD can, but I could be wrong).