IBM pushing new 4 G Bps Fibre Channel storage for June

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This might be a hint of things to come.

I was prepared to wait till WWDC

and I'm still not giving in.

I'm not falling for a pitiful clearance sale speedbump

Apple says WWDC will be all about innovation.

Let's hope so!

I'm putting my money on

XStation Quadra/ XServe Quadra

or a mini for my kids

IBM is responding to the escalating capacity and performance challenges plaguing many midrange storage customers by embracing the benefits of 4G-bps Fibre Channel interface technology.

Next month IBM will announce its IBM TotalStorage DS4800 disk array storage product. To be available in June, the newest member of IBM's TotalStorage DS4000 Series?renamed last year from FAStT (Fibre Array Storage Technology)?will feature 4G-bps connectivity and greater cache sizes, enabling higher performance and boosted bandwidth capabilities, said Harold Pike, worldwide product manager for Midrange Disk Systems at IBM, in Armonk, N.Y.

"We're going to revise the entire DS4000 Series. [The DS4800] is only the beginning," said Pike. "All the TotalStorage products that will be coming out this year and going into next year will be 4 G bps."

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1789357,00.asp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Another PowerMac update in just a little over a month? Dream on, friend.

I'd expect the new dual-core PowerMacs that everybody wants either late this fall or January.

A new mini sounds realistic, though.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    No I'm not expecting another PowerMac

But what then does Apple mean by "Spotlight on Innovation"?

Dual Core pro series XStation

Dual Core pro series XServe

or FINALLY they answer the " mother of all thermal challenges"
  • Reply 3 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Nothing new here really.

Everyone in the Fibre Channel arena is moving to 4Gb now. 2Gb will be the new "affordable" FC.

I'm thinking that we don't see new Powermac HW until MWSF 2006 as amazing as that sounds. I have not a clue why Apple is taking forever here.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I believe in my theory that they a have become far to full of them self's because of iPods, iTunes, Mini's, and think the world will come to them regardless.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I believe in my theory that they a have become far to full of them self's because of iPods, iTunes, Mini's, and think the world will come to them regardless.

Well they better wake up. They shouldn't fall victim to thinking that the Mac community is so insular as to not be affected by the goings on in the industry as a whole. We have options to "switch" too Steve.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    At least the 2GB fibre channel will be cheaper now.

hm. I used to give you a hard time for almost having 5000 posts. What am I going to do now that you have them?

1 post from 2000 / I think I'll leave now.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I'd rather see a cheaper SAS Xserve RAID.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Onlooker you "old" cat you! 2000 posts! You're staying busy inbetween renders

Quote:

I'd rather see a cheaper SAS Xserve RAID.

Me too!! I think Apple moves to SAS/SATA 3Gbps with the next major revision. It makes too much sense. You get the port multipliers, port selections for redundant links and NCQ.

Although it seems like Apple hates SCSI nowadays. OS X doesn't sound like it has the most robust SCSI drivers.

Hey and how about a lower cost Xserve Apple? I know I know...I asked for this in another thread but I'm "serious". Make it a G5 too...k...thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    That's it!

the all new

XStation & XServe mini
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

That's it!

the all new

XStation & XServe mini

You jest but you actually may be onto something there. I'm noticing a lot of storage companies tossing a bunch of drives in a cube shape in a NAS device.

Take the mini...enlarge it slightly put in better components and voila. Xmini for $1499 with a 5 client OSX Server. It wouldn't have PCI-X but rather a GBIC slot(s) right on the front !!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Small business Xserves

Small form factor

Small price

Sounds good to me.