Tiger Problem?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was fortunate to receive Tiger early and installed it today. Everything (Spotlight etc.) is excellent except all of my Mail has completely dissappeared from all accounts. New mail is not registered/shown, and Mail.app when launched does not show the message window at all.

Spotlight appears to be finished indexing, so my initial thought that it was just because messages were being indexed doesn't appear to be the cause.

Puzzling.

I posted here rather than the Genius Bar mainly because I don't expect solutions, but rather a caution to all installing Tiger.

PS> Same result on 2 different machines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    i also lost six months worth of email...strange because the emails from the last week carried over, as did my gmail account settings, but everything else disappeared.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

i also lost six months worth of email...strange because the emails from the last week carried over, as did my gmail account settings, but everything else disappeared.

it might be because Mail.app cahces everything. if you forgot to back that up, that's where your emails are (were). i'm fortunate enough to have an IMAP account through school so this isn't too much of an issue, but i'm still going to back everything up.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

it might be because Mail.app cahces everything. if you forgot to back that up, that's where your emails are (were). i'm fortunate enough to have an IMAP account through school so this isn't too much of an issue, but i'm still going to back everything up.

It's my corporate IMAP account that's missing. I have access via Outlook on a PC and can confirm that everything is intact. It just doesn't show up in Mail.

Oddly, if I "Get Info" on that mailbox, it correctly accounts for size etc. WEIRD.

This app is funked.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

It's my corporate IMAP account that's missing. I have access via Outlook on a PC and can confirm that everything is intact. It just doesn't show up in Mail.

Oddly, if I "Get Info" on that mailbox, it correctly accounts for size etc. WEIRD.

This app is funked.

Likewise, all e-mails in my .Mac account are safely intact on the server, but likewise fail to appear in Mail.app. Also, I can't quit Mail.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Hm, I did a clean install/back up my library folder, so I just imported whatever I had previously into mail. Though I had to specifically import it - if I copied the Mail folder from the old library into the new library, it didn't load it. Maybe you can try importing it from ~/Library/Mail?

IMAP works much better for me now, IMAP folders work nicely, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Tiger's Mail is a different format, and it should convert it - I know that the Migration Assistant converted mine.

I don't know what the problem might be so we will have to wait and see if this shows up on MacFixit.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I trashed my mail.plist and it appears to have solved the problem (at least on my laptop, I'll try my desktop tomorrow).

Simple enough to fix. Sorry for the alert; return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Now, my only pet peeve about Tiger is the apparent lack of control over .Mac sync'ing. I somehow feel like mistakes will happen now that this guy sort of does its own thing without being initiated in iSync.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    There have been a number of reports of Mail.app being unable to import a mailbox, so that it appears to be "gone" when in fact the mail is still there, just not showing up. Some of the troubleshooting so far seems to indicate that Mail.app is choking on specific messages, but so far this is speculation and no one has pined down what it is that is causing the problems.

I would expect some sort of fix shortly, it sounds like there is some fairly-common quirk that wasn't in the test pool for the betas. So far no one is reporting that data is actually lost (just no available).
  • Reply 9 of 11
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Does iSync not come with 10.4? I didn't realize that...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

Does iSync not come with 10.4? I didn't realize that...

It's there, but the dot-mac portion is now controlled from the Sync section of the dot-mac Pref pane.

And to answer Sport73's concern about dot-mac syncing, you can set it to manual so it does not sync if you don't want it to. This is in the dot-mac Prefs also.

The NDA isn't lifted until tomorrow, but I would back up my keychains before syncing them, if you get my drift.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

It's there, but the dot-mac portion is now controlled from the Sync section of the dot-mac Pref pane.

And to answer Sport73's concern about dot-mac syncing, you can set it to manual so it does not sync if you don't want it to. This is in the dot-mac Prefs also.

The NDA isn't lifted until tomorrow, but I would back up my keychains before syncing them, if you get my drift.

After messing around a bit, I trashed my preference file and it seemed to revive my .Mac account in Mail; my IMAP (work) account cannot be contacted. When I set it up, it completes setup but then freezes before displaying mailboxes. After a FORCE-Quit, the mailboxes on the IMAP server show up, but once again without the actual e-mails.

Now, I notice that .Mac mail is not up to date, in that only messages from February 9th and before are present.

Bottom line is that Mail is completely screwed up. This stinks because Mail coupled with Spotlight (smart mailboxes etc.) was one of my biggest reasons for upgrading. I hope my archive of 2 years worth of business mail isn't dead.

Be warned. Tiger's Mail has some SERIOUS issues. (confirmed on both my Powerbook and PowerMac). The only 'extra' running prior to upgrade was mail.appetizer.