Stickies Widget (and Dashboard overall)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Stickies doesn't seem to work at all. It doesn't allow me to paste text into in, and the windows aren't resizable.

And overall, what's the point of widgets, when you have to "trigger" them to appear (dock, hot corners, whatever)? Why use an iTunes widget when it would be just as easy to control it from the dock. Why cant they just float -- either below or above the active windows?

Am I missing something?

- Just realized "Stickies Widget" sounds likes "sticky wicket", which would be appropriate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I believe the idea is so that they don't clutter up your desktop. If you opened up a bunch of little programs like that, it would just be annoying since they would either cover up stuff while you're working, or they would get covered up by other things. It frees up the dock too; some people might want to have many widgets open at once, and not have all those different programs in their dock.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    stickies widget does allow you to paste into it. you can't resize, but if you put more text than will fit, it'll make the font smaller, so everything will fit. if you want more room, open more stickies widgets.

i'll agree that an itunes widget isn't all that helpful, you can change songs in the dock. what dashboard is useful for is all those apps you don't always want in front of you, and all those apps you don't want filling up your dock... but that you do need!...

so far the widgets i find most useful are... weather, which i check often, but do not want a dedicated app for. calculator, which i don't need often, but when i do, i need to get to it quick. dictionary, for the same reasons as the calculator. and fedex/ups widget, which you can download at thedashboarder.com.

at first, i wasn't sure if dashboard was as great as i thought it would be.. but now that i've been using it for almost a week... i can't live without it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I think it's a pretty good idea. Grouping all the little programs that would normally be annoying to keep open into one application is much more efficient. Like calculator for instance, it's not something that I would use often enough to keep it open all the time; but then when I do need it, it's almost a bother to go and open it up.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

And overall, what's the point of widgets, when you have to "trigger" them to appear

Widgets are for things that you ask the question "I wonder what..." rather than something that you need to know constantly like email arriving or appointment alarms.

Quote:

Why cant they just float -- either below or above the active windows?

Am I missing something?

I sure wouldn't want them floating all the time. I have the lower-right corner set to trigger Dashboard and it's great for glancing at stocks, making four copies of the clock to see the time in Europe and US, much faster to get to the Calculator, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hirsch22hirsch22 Posts: 18member
    As Lundy shared in another thread, you can keep the weather widget visible by opening dashboard, then dragging a new weather widget to the screen, as you're dragging it to the screen-hit F12, the weather widget should remain visible on the desktop until the next time you bring up and minimize the dashboard.