10.5 and beyond...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok, so I know this is waaay to soon to post somethings like this, but what the hell. Right?

Anyways, with the onset of 10.4 and all of its bells and whistles, what do you all think could be, or should be incorporated into the next version of OSX ? Im not an Op Sys programmer, so I wouldn't know where to begin. When MS LongHorn (what a ridiculous name in my book) oh yeah (what the hell does XP stand for anyway?) comes out what features will it have aped from the Mac, and what will be original?

Side question, what are the main Op Sys's in todays world? I know OSX is Unix at heart, MS is MS DOS, and Unix has many derivatives, if that would be a correct assumption, ie: Linux, Irix, etc..if those are a type of Unix.. Like I said Im not versed in the OS world. Was the classic Mac OS an entity unto itself at the core, or was it a cover for another system? I hope I asked my questions correctly.

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    it is definitely too soon to talk about 10.5. not only is tiger not "officially" shipping, but also i'm sure there are things on the plate for point releases. people will whine about things that might still be incorporated in later versions of 10.4. so for now, i for one will hold off on speculation for future os releases. except for this.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

Ok, so I know this is waaay to soon to post somethings like this, but what the hell. Right?

Anyways, with the onset of 10.4 and all of its bells and whistles, what do you all think could be, or should be incorporated into the next version of OSX ? Im not an Op Sys programmer, so I wouldn't know where to begin. When MS LongHorn (what a ridiculous name in my book) oh yeah (what the hell does XP stand for anyway?) comes out what features will it have aped from the Mac, and what will be original?

Side question, what are the main Op Sys's in todays world? I know OSX is Unix at heart, MS is MS DOS, and Unix has many derivatives, if that would be a correct assumption, ie: Linux, Irix, etc..if those are a type of Unix.. Like I said Im not versed in the OS world. Was the classic Mac OS an entity unto itself at the core, or was it a cover for another system? I hope I asked my questions correctly.

\

One feature would be a Mac phone service, that would continue the iChat evolution. Also secure chatting as well as secure Web conferencing is needed. Perhaps core Gaming, or core science. Being able to fully take advantage of PDF documents would be nice, but there may be monitary issues. Building in Quicktime is needed. Continued development of Xcode especially in the area of AppleScript writing and the continued development of putting a Mac frontend on Unix apps. Unix has lots of really cool apps and all they need is a way to interact with the OS at the upper levels. Building apps using NextStep, which is how mostif not all apps are built, has many benefits like the objects that are in the NextStep framework are aware of other objects right out of the box, the objects can talk to each other or are aware that other objects are around. Drop into Unix and you loose that awareness bit. It would be nice to be able to use AppleScript or something else to build a front end for a Unix app such as DeadEnd and have that app be aware of other objects, and this applies to the many other Unix apps that there are. Continuing to evolve the filesystem would Bee nice as well. Those are a few thoughts.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

When MS LongHorn (what a ridiculous name in my book) oh yeah (what the hell does XP stand for anyway?)

\

Longhorn is Microsoft's internal code-name for the product, not the final name.

XP = "eXPerience"
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

One feature would be a Mac phone service, that would continue the iChat evolution. Also secure chatting as well as secure Web conferencing is needed.

Tiger Server includes a chat server that offers SSL encryption.

Quote:

Perhaps core Gaming, or core science.

Eh? Not sure what you mean by these.

Quote:

Being able to fully take advantage of PDF documents would be nice, but there may be monitary issues.

Some PDF 1.6 features aren't supported, but 1.5 is now. Very nice jump in functionality. What do you see as missing?

Quote:

Building in Quicktime is needed.

Huh? Since it ships with the system, and many many apps from Apple (all of them?) use it extensively, I'm not sure what you mean by this either.

Quote:

Continued development of Xcode especially in the area of AppleScript writing and the continued development of putting a Mac frontend on Unix apps. Unix has lots of really cool apps and all they need is a way to interact with the OS at the upper levels. Building apps using NextStep, which is how mostif not all apps are built, has many benefits like the objects that are in the NextStep framework are aware of other objects right out of the box, the objects can talk to each other or are aware that other objects are around. Drop into Unix and you loose that awareness bit. It would be nice to be able to use AppleScript or something else to build a front end for a Unix app such as DeadEnd and have that app be aware of other objects, and this applies to the many other Unix apps that there are. Continuing to evolve the filesystem would Bee nice as well. Those are a few thoughts.

NeXTstep is now Cocoa, and has been for five (six?) years. I know what you mean though (I think), and that is actually completely taken care of in AppleScript now in 10.3. You can write an AS script that calls Unix shell commands and scripts, and with AppleScript Studio, place a GUI on it quickly.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Tiger Server includes a chat server that offers SSL encryption.

Some PDF 1.6 features aren't supported, but 1.5 is now. Very nice jump in functionality. What do you see as missing?

Huh? Since it ships with the system, and many many apps from Apple (all of them?) use it extensively, I'm not sure what you mean by this either.

NeXTstep is now Cocoa, and has been for five (six?) years. I know what you mean though (I think), and that is actually completely taken care of in AppleScript now in 10.3. You can write an AS script that calls Unix shell commands and scripts, and with AppleScript Studio, place a GUI on it quickly.

Move the Server feature over to the general release.

Just thinking of other Cores, that would make life easier to port games and speed them up as well, where possible, or Apple can buy a game developer or both. Science is a new niche and it would be nice if Apple could identify Core apps that could use a good hand tuning like BLAST did.

Add Quicktime and quit charging for it. It is part of the operating system already, might as well add it for the Mac users.

When did they change the name of NextStep?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Move the Server feature over to the general release.

The chat server has to support it. iChat uses the AOL AIM servers. They don't. iChat *does* support it if the server does. The Tiger Server chat server supports it.

Quote:

Just thinking of other Cores, that would make life easier to port games and speed them up as well, where possible, or Apple can buy a game developer or both. Science is a new niche and it would be nice if Apple could identify Core apps that could use a good hand tuning like BLAST did.

Well hand tuning rather is at odds with a Core* library, rather fundamentally.

I get what you're saying though, that it'd be nice if they offered technologies to support distributed computing (Xgrid), or maybe parallel computing (AltiVec), or even heck, just basic visualization (Quartz 2D, OpenGL, QuickTime)... oh wait...

Quote:

Add Quicktime and quit charging for it. It is part of the operating system already, might as well add it for the Mac users.

You mean QuickTime *Pro*. That's just a set of editing capabilities added to the QuickTime Player application. It has nothing to do with the underlying capabilities of the framework... which does ship with every Mac, and is in every copy of the OS.

Quote:

When did they change the name of NextStep?

Literally before 10.0 shipped. It's been Cocoa on the Mac since Day 0. I think you're a bit out of, er, Step.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Longhorn is Microsoft's internal code-name for the product, not the final name.

XP = "eXPerience"

Ah ok, that makes sense. BUt they still aped the X idea from Apple I bet..
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I get what you're saying though, that it'd be nice if they offered technologies to support distributed computing (Xgrid), or maybe parallel computing (AltiVec), or even heck, just basic visualization (Quartz 2D, OpenGL, QuickTime)... oh wait...

You mean QuickTime *Pro*. That's just a set of editing capabilities added to the QuickTime Player application. It has nothing to do with the underlying capabilities of the framework... which does ship with every Mac, and is in every copy of the OS.

Actually just going around and looking at their audience like in the science area, or boitech area and see what they are porting and see if there are things that Apple can do that would make that porting easier. Kind of what they did with BLAST. I guess you could suggest that they add things that are already there but that would be stupid really.

Yes I do mean Quicktime pro, and ues I know that it is included with every copy of the OS thanks, you are good with the obvious.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Well, sometimes even the obvious needs to be pointed out to some folks. Glad to be of service.