Spotlight, iTunes & iPhoto Index Databases

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So, installing Tiger creates an index database of your files for use with Spotlight files... I assume that iTunes and iPhoto use similar databases... So does the Spotlight database re-index this information, or copy it from the existing iTunes/iPhoto ones, or simply link to the existing databases?

Ta .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i personally am gonna tell spotlight to ignore my music and photo libraries. if i need to search for music or a photo, i prefer using the built-in tools in those apps because i can sort by rating, grouping, album, etc. using spotlight to search these is going to bring up lots of xxx0042.jpg kind of results, and also include all the thumbnails that iphoto creates.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Spotlight understands both iTunes and iPhoto, for example if you do a search for a song in Spotlight then select it iTunes launches and goes to and starts playing that song.

Spotlight shows all your iPhoto information including comments/titles/keywords that you have in iPhoto, selecting a photo opens iPhoto and switches to that photo. Also for example if you do a Spotlight search and then do a slideshow with photos that are already in iPhoto spotlight disables the "import to iPhoto button".

One thing I wish it would do is if the photo has a iPhoto title to replace the file name (like DSC00000.jpg) with the name you gave it in iPhoto.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks for the replies .

So do you tell Spotlight to ignore iTunes and iPhoto when you first index, or is it a preference that you can set? I'm not too keen on having iPhoto thumbnails show up along each picture, that seems like a waste of time .

To be honest, I'll probably just index everything. I'm just interested to know how it all fits together, i.e. one large database, or several separate but linked ones?

Dave.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

I'm just interested to know how it all fits together, i.e. one large database, or several separate but linked ones?

Answer: Siracusa's Tiger Review: Page 9