DVD-RW???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
DVD-RW's don't work in the superdrive right? I'm wanting to order some. If they don't do they make external ones that do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    They do work in the Superdrive: anyone else (i.e. someone with a Superdrive) know how? If I Remember Correctly, the process is simple:<ol type="1">[*]Put a DVD-R disk in the Superdrive[*]Load up the application you want to burn with[*]When the time for burnin' comes, swap the DVD-R disk with a DVD-RW[/list=a]

edit: fixed the list.

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: Stoo ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It depends on the Superdrive, probably. I think there were reports of some of the newer DVD-R drives having DVD-RW disabled too...

My QuickSilver 2002's DVR-104 supports DVD-RW just fine.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Will the swapping trick work in the PowerBook G4 12"er SuperDrive? Thanks. Also DVD-RW works in PS II's and set tops right?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

It depends on the Superdrive, probably. I think there were reports of some of the newer DVD-R drives having DVD-RW disabled too... <hr></blockquote>

I think this is actually the DVD+R functionality which should be available with some of the new iMac Superdrives (Sony OEM versions of the DRU 500 I think) which has been firmware disabled.

Don't know about any tricks, but using Toast will let you burn DVD-RW easily. It is definitely worth the money.

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: DaveLee ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Can you run Toast 4 from Classic or will I actually have to spend some cash?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So does the DVD-RW swapping trick work in PowerBook G4 12" Matshita SuperDrives?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>So does the DVD-RW swapping trick work in PowerBook G4 12" Matshita SuperDrives?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It is reported not to work in the TiG4 SuperDrives, and since those use essentially the same drive, I'd imagine the same would be true for the AlG4's one.

Bye,

RazzFazz