Spotlight Not Indexing iPhoto Keywords, Album Names?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Maybe I was imagining things, but when I originally did an upgrade install of Tiger, Spotlight would search using words contained in iPhoto keywords and album names. However, I reinstalled using the archive & install option, and now it doesn't include them, despite the fact that the 'images' option is clearly selected to be included in searches. It will find them by file name, but not keywords or album name .

Was I imagining things last time, or is something broken this time? And is there any way to fix it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It's an iPhoto problem.

iPhoto strips out the required metadata for Spotlight to index.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

It's an iPhoto problem.

iPhoto strips out the required metadata for Spotlight to index.

So I was imagining things \. Damn!

Can anyone else confirm this? It seems a bit stupid that Spotlight doesn't index photos too. Plus I'm damn sure it worked on the first install...

Is there any way to force Tiger to rebuild the Spotlight index?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I found a solution. Basically, add a bogus keyword to all your images, check spotlight picks it up, then remove it. Seems to be working now.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    I tried it and it doesn't work for me. Spotlight seems kinda buggy. Things show up and then they don't.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

So I was imagining things \. Damn!

Can anyone else confirm this? It seems a bit stupid that Spotlight doesn't index photos too. Plus I'm damn sure it worked on the first install...

Is there any way to force Tiger to rebuild the Spotlight index?

From terminal:

sudo mdutil -E /

Spotlight did miss a bunch of stuff on the initial indexing of my drive after booting up Tiger for the first time. After rebuilding it now finds everything.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

From terminal:

sudo mdutil -E /

Spotlight did miss a bunch of stuff on the initial indexing of my drive after booting up Tiger for the first time. After rebuilding it now finds everything.

its working for me - iPhoto that is. Will Tiger automatically re-index?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

its working for me - iPhoto that is. Will Tiger automatically re-index?

I don't think it does, but I'm not sure.