First benchmarking result of new DP 1,42 GHz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
On XLR8YourMac a user posted first benchmark results of the new DP 1,42 GHz PowerMac.

<a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    These results are disapointing : the dual 1,42 is only faster by a 25-30 % factor than a dual. Quite sad if we expected a 42 % speed bump.

I am going to wait the PPC 970
  • Reply 2 of 10
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    [quote]Originally posted by Powerdoc:

<strong>These results are disapointing : the dual 1,42 is only faster by a 25-30 % factor than a dual. Quite sad if we expected a 42 % speed bump.

I am going to wait the PPC 970</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you really surprised or just kidding?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    [quote]Originally posted by costique:

<strong>

Are you really surprised or just kidding?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he was legitimately surprised...although I'm not sure there's anything to be unhappy about. A 30-35% speed increase is completely respectable by any fair measure.

Going from 1 GHz to 1.42 GHz doesn't translate into an automatic 42% speed increase. There are too many variables to take into account. But I noticed that the Dual 1 GHz had 768 MB RAM, and the Dual 1.42 GHz had only 512 MB RAM. That right there could have lowered the potential score of the 1.42 on some tests.

Which proves yet again that benchmarks are only as good as the people conducting them, and the exact specifications of the machines involved.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    After my Dual 867 I gave up on Power Mac G4's. I am waiting for the 970 or a G4 with a true DDR frontside bus. Powerbooks for me until the Power Macs become what the name implies: Power Macs...power referring to speed and performance and not how much deafening sound the power supply can generate.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    My dual 1gig rig will do for a while. It's a solid fellow. The 970 will lead to a revolution, however.

-----------------------------------

Nashville Satisfied
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Is the comparison to a dual gig with the 167 MHz bus or the 133 thats in my dual Quicksilver DA version
  • Reply 7 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Anyone else had a decent chance to use this thing and compare it to the new (or old) Dual 1.25? I'd actually be curious to see if it's noticeably faster in any respect than the old 1.25, given the L3 is the same.

Any takers? I haven't seen any benchmarks at MacSpeedZone or elsewhere yet. XLR8 seems to be down right now...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sybaritic

My dual 1gig rig will do for a while. It's a solid fellow. The 970 will lead to a revolution, however.

seems that way...If the 970 really is what it is cracked up to be, you would be a fool to not own a mac(if you are looking for power)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I got a chance to dink around with a 1.42 the other day; wasn't impressed in the least. The old 1.25 is every bit as fast in the tests I performed...maybe the 1.42 just had a mediocre drive installed or something but launch times and other basic "benchmarks" were basically identical to the old 1.25.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

Is the comparison to a dual gig with the 167 MHz bus or the 133 thats in my dual Quicksilver DA version

I don't think it matters much, in most benchmarks, the two performed almost the exact same.