Powerbook battery life

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

I've had my PB12 for about a year and a half now... and some time in the past few months battery life started going seriously downhill. I thought it was something I installed, or some Panther upgrade... I used to get almost 4 hours, but it dropped all the way to two.

I just installed Tiger, and one of the things I figured was I'd get better battery life (since pretty much every OS upgrade so far has extended battery life a bit) - but now I get barely more than ONE hour!

Now... I've heard/read that these batteries start declining after 24 months, or even 18 if you're mean to them (which I kinda am, I guess), but this is beyond 'starting to decline'... this is 'practically useless'.

Anyone have any clues, or am I SOL and need to shell out for a new battery? (which would suck since it's too late to use the 10% discount I got For Tonight Only when I got Tiger...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    You are correct. The battery will gradually lose capacity over time.

You could try to recalibrate the battery. Charge it all the way up then run it down till the message comes up saying you need to connect to a power source.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

You could try to recalibrate the battery. Charge it all the way up then run it down till the message comes up saying you need to connect to a power source.

Ok, I'll try that. *unplugs* Hmmm, 47 minutes. This won't take long... kinda sucks that it just... died like that, though.