quicktime 7 question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
so i upgraded to pro but now seem to have lost a function i had in 6 pro. you used to be able to make a small selection out of an entire movie clip by using 2 little sliders at the bottom of the playback triangle. now in 7 those sliders are gone except in some clips. there is an option to hide sliders in preferences but i turned that off. one clip, like the bbc clip on their high def page will get the selection and then other clips , like random downloads from the net, have no way to select parts of them....any clue as to why this might be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

so i upgraded to pro but now seem to have lost a function i had in 6 pro. you used to be able to make a small selection out of an entire movie clip by using 2 little sliders at the bottom of the playback triangle. now in 7 those sliders are gone except in some clips. there is an option to hide sliders in preferences but i turned that off. one clip, like the bbc clip on their high def page will get the selection and then other clips , like random downloads from the net, have no way to select parts of them....any clue as to why this might be?

apple requires you to purchase quicktime7 pro for quicktime7 to re-enable all those pro features, and also quicktime7 pro gives you h.264 encoding -- very nice though very cpu-intense

the slider thingys are a quicktime7 pro feature

if you are concerned you can find a 6.5.2 or so quicktime re-installer to go back to quicktime 6 and re-enter your quicktime 6 pro key

or you can upgrade to quicktime 7 pro
  • Reply 2 of 10
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

apple requires you to purchase quicktime7 pro for quicktime7 to re-enable all those pro features, and also quicktime7 pro gives you h.264 encoding -- very nice though very cpu-intense

the slider thingys are a quicktime7 pro feature

if you are concerned you can find a 6.5.2 or so quicktime re-installer to go back to quicktime 6 and re-enter your quicktime 6 pro key

or you can upgrade to quicktime 7 pro

thanks but i think u might have missed the first line. i did upgrade to pro..thats why its not making sense
  • Reply 3 of 10
    The sliders don't work for MPEG2 content (I think). Are your files MPEG2?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

thanks but i think u might have missed the first line. i did upgrade to pro..thats why its not making sense

sorry i was encoding with quicktime7pro all day and was very very sleeeeeppy
  • Reply 5 of 10
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    so now the sliders only work with h264 stuff? yes fine, i admit it, some of the clips i was looking at were some regular old pron clips off the web. in qt6.5.2 the sliders worked with it. is there a way to get them back for 7pro?

there was something i saw on apples qt site about mpeg2 component. is this something i would have in my old system files that i can add to 7? its just annoying to lose a function i used to have on an older version of qt\
  • Reply 6 of 10
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Quote:

so now the sliders only work with h264 stuff? yes fine, i admit it, some of the clips i was looking at were some regular old pron clips off the web. in qt6.5.2 the sliders worked with it. is there a way to get them back for 7pro?

there was something i saw on apples qt site about mpeg2 component. is this something i would have in my old system files that i can add to 7? its just annoying to lose a function i used to have on an older version of qt\

The MPEG2 component only does playback of MPEG2. It does not allow you to create MPEG2 content. Hence, you can't cut an MPEG2, because that would mean you'll be 'creating' a cut up version of the MPEG2 file. I know, it sucks, but that's the way I figured it works. I would like to cut some MPEG2 myself too (DVB recording). Using ProjectX at the moment. Unless someone has a better idea.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

The MPEG2 component only does playback of MPEG2. It does not allow you to create MPEG2 content. Hence, you can't cut an MPEG2, because that would mean you'll be 'creating' a cut up version of the MPEG2 file. I know, it sucks, but that's the way I figured it works. I would like to cut some MPEG2 myself too (DVB recording). Using ProjectX at the moment. Unless someone has a better idea.

i've been doing to painful thing of exporting using MACMPEG2DECODER (mm2d @ sourceforge) to generate my "lossless" version of the decoded file, a Planar-RGB encoded MOV. Then I play with and cut up that Planar-RGB file to my heart's content

i will check out this ProjectX thing you mentioned, i am intrigued... googling now

c ya later 8)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    whoa projectX is hardcore...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

whoa projectX is hardcore...

Are we talking about the same projectX? http://www.oozoon.de/main.html Download the java version.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

Are we talking about the same projectX? http://www.oozoon.de/main.html Download the java version.

yup projectX seems a bit too complicated for me for now, i have just gotten the hang of ffMpegX.

but thanks for the link i downloaded and checking out java version now...