Tiger: 64MB VRAM barely enough

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just upgraded to Tiger and one of the first issues I found was with the built-in Screen Saver.

When the Screen Saver activates to show a slide show of my images (from a chosen folder) those images are displayed in terrible lo-res, like in 1/4 their native resolution. Things look badly pixelated. This was definitely not the case with 10.3.9.

After some searching I found that my external monitor is to blame. I'm on a PowerBook with 64MB VRAM, QE is activated, and it seems that OS 10.4 needs a lot more VRAM to offer the same functionality as 10.3.9 offered - at least in regards to smooth screen saver images in dual monitor mode.

Let this be a warning to all potential PowerBook buyers! DO get that 128MB VRAM option! 64MB is getting tight on Tiger. I already lost functionality compared to 10.3.9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    i have a powerbook with 64MB of VRAM...and everything is working fine...i have a standard config of the 15" superdrive, and i just tested the screen saver with my pictures folder...it works fantastic, the resolution is more crisp than viewing it in preview...im not a mac genius but perhaps u have some issue with ur external display...post ur hardware specs as well...

forget that last bit of my post, but yes, it is a good idea to get 128mb for two displays...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    If you use a external display along with the internal display on a PowerBook the VRAM is cut to 32/32 for each display.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

If you use a external display along with the internal display on a PowerBook the VRAM is cut to 32/32 for each display.

All I was saying was that my hardware config did not change, still same PowerBook still same external display as under OS X 10.3.9. But under 10.3.9 Screen Saver could display images in high quality, whereas under 10.4.0 this is no longer the case. Images are displayed in low res.

Disconnecting the external screen solves the problem, images are back to high res.

Hence it is most definitely an issue that is related to VRAM and Tiger. Tiger just seems to require more VRAM to begin with, leaving less for applications like Screen Saver.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hobBIT

All I was saying was that my hardware config did not change, still same PowerBook still same external display as under OS X 10.3.9. But under 10.3.9 Screen Saver could display images in high quality, whereas under 10.4.0 this is no longer the case. Images are displayed in low res.

Disconnecting the external screen solves the problem, images are back to high res.

Hence it is most definitely an issue that is related to VRAM and Tiger. Tiger just seems to require more VRAM to begin with, leaving less for applications like Screen Saver.

I think you can modify the QE plist to accept 32 MB vram limit. That should turn on QE on even when using two monitors. I think the new default is 64MB vram where Panther required only 32MB to QE activation.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    This confirms my thinking when I purchased my G5 many moons ago...

I upgraded to the 9800 Pro, not just because I play the occassional game, but also as a means of future proofing. 128 MB of VRam is small, but it makes a huge difference compared to just 64 MB.

I learned this lesson with my Rev A Ti which only has 8 MB of VRam. When I use an external display with it the video performance sucks, even when it was new. At that point I knew VRam upgrades would be important, especially as Apply slides more and more processing to the GPU.

Moral of the story: want multiple or large monitors?... get a better GPU.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    I wish one could upgrade the GPU or at least the VRAM on a PowerBook. But you're stuck with what Apple offers. And in the case of a 12" PowerBook that's 64MB. Period.

In that respect, somewhat off topic:

On the QuickTime 7 page you can download an HD version of the Batman Begins trailer at a luscious 1920x816(!) pixel resolution! Really impressive quality.

However, the page also claims you must have a G5 to play it. And it's true, it's a sad stutterly affaire on my 1.33GHz PowerBook with a 5400rpm drive. I reckon it's not the 1.33GHz that's the problem but the measly 166MHz bus...

It's strange when Apple brags about cool stuff on their website, which none of their portable computers can actually run. Not even the most expensive top model...

Back on topic:

I wish Apple would have better portable hardware, or at least make it more upgradable.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hobBIT

On the QuickTime 7 page you can download an HD version of the Batman Begins trailer at a luscious 1920x816(!) pixel resolution! Really impressive quality.

Cinemascope! 21.2:9 or 2.35:1

Screed
  • Reply 8 of 14
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I have a G4 450MHz sawtooth with a Radeon Mac edition 8500. I just installed

10.4 using the archive and install option and what I noticed is that the computer now uses an awful lot of CPU usage when moving windows. Plus Quicktime is now choppy.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

10.4 using the archive and install option and what I noticed is that the computer now uses an awful lot of CPU usage when moving windows. Plus Quicktime is now choppy.

Tiger does background Spotlight indexing after the first restart. It might be better once it's done.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

How much sdram you got?

Minimum requirement for QE is 64MB vram and 512MB sdram.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by bitemymac

How much sdram you got?

Minimum requirement for QE is 64MB vram and 512MB sdram.

I've got 64MB of vram and 1gig of SDRAM.

To the poster who said the slowness may be due to spotlight indexing, I noticed this after I first installed it and booted up. I see much less processor usage now.

However, I just reloaded a quicktime HD trailer and its using most of the processor and in fact, if I move the quicktime window, the processor usage climbs to 100%. If I don't do anything, the movie is choppy.

I'm going backup all of my files, try to secure delete the swapfile via 10.3.9 in the other partion, reformat the partition and re-install 10.4. Plus, I mistakenly loaded all of the language fonts and printer drivers which I don't need.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Try the streaming 720p version over the 1080 download version. It works much better (as in a solid 24 fps on my 1.33 GHz 12" PB) then the 1080 version.

Additionally turn off the use High Quality Video When Available in Quicktime preferences.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

Try the streaming 720p version over the 1080 download version. It works much better (as in a solid 24 fps on my 1.33 GHz 12" PB) then the 1080 version.

Additionally turn off the use High Quality Video When Available in Quicktime preferences.

I did use the 720p version and the preference you said to turn off is turned off. I re-loaded another quicktime video and it just plain sucks. Plus, the processor still pegs out at 100% when its trying to run the video. I think I get 1 or 2 frames per second. I think its the video card. I only have a readeon 8500 with 64MB of ram.

Everything else is fine. In fact, I can see a noticeble difference in speed all over the place as compared to 10.3.9. Even downloads are much faster. Excluding Quicktime, its a great upgrade in my opinion.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Even downloads are much faster.

I was wondering if that was just me or not. I've been getting 1.1 MB/sec where before it'd top out around half that. Very nice.