Application Problems, Possible Solutions, Tips

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I didn't see a thread started to discuss compatibility issues with third-party apps and Tiger, so I decided to start one. If you have any questions regarding program compatibility that's not listed here please ask.

My tip is this: once you get Tiger installed, create a secondary admin account so you can log into it should any third-party app wreak havoc. I didn't do this last night, and about an hour later, the Finder started crashing then relaunching over and over (everything else was fine, I could even use the dashboard). The only way I could fix it was to do another Archive & Install of Tiger; running disk utility did not fix it. The problem was caused by either of the following control panes which I installed before the Finder problem:

Logitech Control Center (LCC) - my keyboard is only half useful without this. Since I've reinstalled, I've put LCC back on and it's been a few hours with no problems.

LittleSnitch - This is the beta version. It seemed to work fine, but since it's the last third-party app I installed I'm leaning towards it being the culprit. I will install it again after I'm convinced that LCC is okay.

Other programs:

FontAgentPro 3.0.1 - No problems. After archive & install, reinstall FAP and all setting etc. are retained.

BitTorrent 4.0.1 - Freezes immediately upon launch.

AdobeCS (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) - All apps launch fine and appear to work perfectly.

DreamweaverMX 2004 - No problems with archive & install (unlike the LAST time)

Mail 3.0 - Didn't work at all until I removed all third-party plugins (in the Bundles folder)