SuperDuper & 10.3.9

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I started backing up my Ti before installing Tiger on it, the first of my machines to get the upgrade.

I wanted to back up the drive since I thought I'd do a clean install this time. (My PowerBook has had every version of OS X on it dating back to the public beta and I've performed upgrade installs since OS X went GM.)

So after reading all these reviews about how SuperDuper is the shiznit and puts Carbon Copy Cloner to shame, I decided to try it out and backup my drive to a disk image using FireWire target mode when connected to my G5.

So I let it run overnight and it takes over 3 hours to copy the 30 GB drive. But when its all done and goes to dismount the image it fails! I turn off compression and try again, and the same results. I hit the SuperDuper message board and sure enough, there's an issue in 10.3.9 which causes problems with disk images that SuperDuper makes.

I'm trying a workaround, but what a waste of 7 hours. I should be installing Tiger now and instead my Ti is still going fan crazy in Target Disk mode and will be for another 3 hours or so.

Maybe I should have stuck with CCC after all. SuperDuper claims Tiger compatibility... but what about 10.3.9?! Arg!

Anyone else run in to backup problems?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I haven't used SuperDuper but the built in crap from Apple never worked. It would get 4 hours into it and then give me a freekn error (can't remember what it was). Soooo, CCC for me and it works flawlessly. In fact, I am installing Tiger as I type and using the migration assistant to copy my 68 gig worth of crap into Tiger.