Newbie - unable to create new folder!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all

Under my "Documents" folder I have a few sub-folders. I am trying to create a sub-folder under one of those sub-folders and I am unable to. Command-Shift-N does nothing, the top menu has "New Folder" greyed out, etc.

I tried to back out to "Home", there I can create new folders, I can also create new folders under existing folders off the Home area. It is only under Documents or under sub-folders under Documents that I cannot create folders.

Am I missing something or have Apple in their infinite wisdom decided that they know how to organise my Home folder better than I do?

As to how come I already have sub-folders under Documents, I restored the files from the CD where I backed up my Linux machine. Funny how in that case the system quietly created the sub-folders!

The reason I need sub-folders under Documents - I have documents pertaining to different areas of my life that I need to keep separate.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Have you checked the permissions on those folders? File-->Get Info. All I can think of.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Yes, I have read/write permission. i have been able to create files in the Documents folder and the sub-folders under documents. It is only when I try to create a folder that the problem arises.

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

Yes, I have read/write permission. i have been able to create files in the Documents folder and the sub-folders under documents. It is only when I try to create a folder that the problem arises.

Cheers

Can you create a folder elsewhere and move it to one of these subfolders? I'm not sure what this would prove, but, hey, no one else has responded, so...

--B
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Interesting thing happened when I tried to do what you asked. I creared a folder on my desktop and dragged it to a sub-folder under Documents. I got an error window saying "The item 'untitled folder' could not be moved because 'Activity Lists 2003' (that is a sub-folder under Documents) cannot be modified" There were two buttons "OK" and "Authenticate".

When I clicked on Authenticate it asked me for my password, and then moved the untitled folder to the Activities List 2003 folder, no problems!

Then I tried to erase the newly created folder. The system again asked me for my password to delete the folder!

Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

Interesting thing happened when I tried to do what you asked. I creared a folder on my desktop and dragged it to a sub-folder under Documents. I got an error window saying "The item 'untitled folder' could not be moved because 'Activity Lists 2003' (that is a sub-folder under Documents) cannot be modified" There were two buttons "OK" and "Authenticate".

When I clicked on Authenticate it asked me for my password, and then moved the untitled folder to the Activities List 2003 folder, no problems!

Then I tried to erase the newly created folder. The system again asked me for my password to delete the folder!

Cheers

You say that you looked at the permissions, but check the ownership. If you're not the owner, make yourself the owner.

In the get info Ownership and Permissions tab you can see details and modify the owner, etc.

I'd try that.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Yes, I am the owner

Cheers