Buying New Computer....Use Migration Assistant

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As soon as the rev. B iMacs come out, I'm purchasing. I am currently using a Pismo running 10.2.8.

Question is whether or not to use the Migration Assistant to pull over program files and the like.

Anybody have any good/bad issues with using it to pull files from the old Machine? Or would it be easier to set up the Pismo in Fire wire disk mode and copy from there?

After the 'switch' the Pismo is going to be clean installed for Tiger and used as a travel/internet machine around the house.

Thanks for the advice.

Chuckie P.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I did clean installs on my iMac and iBook with Tiger. I cloned my hd' using Carbon Copy Cloner and a partitioned 300 gb Fire Wire drive.

I hadTiger delete the drive and then during the installation used the Migration assistant to pull over my settings, preferences, and programs.

After doing that, there is no way I ever do anything else. I always hated getting a new computer (windows machine) just for the resetting of all the preferences. Screw that, MIGRATE baby!!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chuckiep

As soon as the rev. B iMacs come out, I'm purchasing. I am currently using a Pismo running 10.2.8.

Question is whether or not to use the Migration Assistant to pull over program files and the like.

Anybody have any good/bad issues with using it to pull files from the old Machine? Or would it be easier to set up the Pismo in Fire wire disk mode and copy from there?

After the 'switch' the Pismo is going to be clean installed for Tiger and used as a travel/internet machine around the house.

Thanks for the advice.

Chuckie P.

I use the Assistant because that way you know for sure everything got copied over. IF you wait, the apps will have made new preference files and it is a pain in the butt to know which one you want.