Photoshop CS question: Some Filter menu options are grey'd out...I'm stumped

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have Adobe Photoshop CS. I don't do much in it (I mainly use InDesign for work) but every now and again I do a thing or two.

I have created a new 800 x 600 document with 300 p/i and lab color.

I want add a Clouds Filter (Filter> Render> Clouds). However, the freeking Render part is greyd out and I can't use it. However, if I open a common jpg image I have taken with my camera, it works fine. What am I missing here??

thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I have Adobe Photoshop CS. I don't do much in it (I mainly use InDesign for work) but every now and again I do a thing or two.

I have created a new 800 x 600 document with 300 p/i and lab color.

I want add a Clouds Filter (Filter> Render> Clouds). However, the freeking Render part is greyd out and I can't use it. However, if I open a common jpg image I have taken with my camera, it works fine. What am I missing here??

thanks in advance

Certain filters will not work in LAB and CMYK modes.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

Build your rendered clouds in an RGB document, convert to other colour mode when done.

Most digicams are RGB 8 Bit. Some $$ ones might be 16bit (where similar greying out may occur...)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

Thanks for the replys guys. Why is that? Too much processor power needed?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Thanks for the replys guys. Why is that? Too much processor power needed?

Basically it means the filter was only written to work in RGB mode and to get it to work would require rewriting the filter plugin.

A normal design workflow usually consists of working in RGB mode, and then converting to CMYK (or LAB or what have you) when you're ready to go to print. I assume that Adobe had this in mind when making the filters.