Working from home but saving at the office

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
happy monday(s),

ready for a new problem? good. lets start.

I often come home from the office to find that my girlfriend is going to be working from home. So not to look like a lazy bum I want to work from home too. I have tiger on my Machines (12"PB and dual 2.5) My laptop is at home and well the big tower of aluminum is at the office. we have High speed at both ends. At home we are running wireless with the airport express and the office is running the airport extreme. So how does one work from home while not having to worry about two versions of files floating around? FTP seems so archaic I imagine there is some super slick Apple style way to achive my dream.. Am I right or should I just wake up?

recap of gear:

[Home]

12" PB

Tiger

Airport express

ADSL

[Office]

2.5 dual G5

Tiger

Airport extreme

ADSL

love

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I have the same setup (G5 at the office and multiple Powerbooks for on the road). There are a few alternatives:

1. iDisk. Get a .Mac account and upgrade the iDisk (as I have) to 1GB, that's enough to let you use it as an 'immediate projects' folder and have everything in sync between the 2 Macs.

2. You Synchronize or other applications for syncing folders can be useful. I often boot my Powerbook in Target disk mode (hold T at boot) and use this software to keep 2 folders for work in sync; it intelligently recognizes when a file has been updated and keeps the newer version.

3. Portable HD. This is the solution I'm moving to now. My 'Marketing' folder is over 70GB in size, too large for iDisk (and my work often requires access to all of it randomly) and keeping it on my PB via sync eats up the entire HD. With a Firewire drive of 80GB or so, I can work off of one space and keep both internal drives clean. With a portable firewire drive, you can use a device that doesn't require its own power, so it retains the portability of your PB (with the exception of the drive itself).

4. Remote Desktop. If you can VPN into your office network, you could use OSXVNC and Chicken of the VNC or other remote desktop solutions so that you're always working on your G5, even if not phyisally in front of it. The advantage is obviously the access to network resources and the fact that processor intensive applications will occur faster on the G5, but that's tempered by the fact that you won't see that speed 'real-time' because of the sluggish VNC performance.

Just some ideas.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Great suggetions,

I would however like to avoid buying hardware.

What other software solutions are there?

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Create an nfs share. Open port 2049 (or remap nfs to another port) and mount the share from home.

Should be fine with DSL.

Now you can use the office mac for data storage.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Create an nfs share. Open port 2049 (or remap nfs to another port) and mount the share from home.

Should be fine with DSL.

Now you can use the office mac for data storage.

Dobby.

qu'est-ce que c'est ? NFS?? share??

flick.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

qu'est-ce que c'est ? NFS?? share??

flick.

What is NFS you ask?

Network File System.

It what you use on a unix box to share directories/drives.

OS X is unix with a wicked gui.

You need to know your way around netinfo or try

http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

You will also need a dedicated internet address for the work Mac.

If this is all a bit complicated then use iDisk or a firewire drive or a 3rd party ftp syncing prog.

Dobby.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    What did you come up with?

I have a iMac at home (dedicated ip address) and iBook I carry around with me.

I would like a way to sync up certain folders when I get home to keep them both in-line with each other.

This would be a great area for Apple to move in and advance.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    What kinds of documents / directories are you trying to deal with? Do you have complete control of the hardware at home and work?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Yes, the hardware is under my total and absolute control. muhahahaha

Mainly, I have a 600 megabyte folder that houses 95% of my work on it. I currently use my iPod as my hdd between work and home but lately, it would be nice to have to drag it out to work on it with my iBook.

I am talking about normal ms office files and the such.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Hey hey,

What I have found works best, not the way I want but still really easy. Grab and buy iGet. its the fastest file sharing program I have found, It looks like it buries deep in side your computer.

I would love to be able to make an alias of my Docs folder on my home computer and when I open that it connects to that folder on my work computer..

flick.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Mainly, I have a 600 megabyte folder that houses 95% of my work on it. I currently use my iPod as my hdd between work and home but lately, it would be nice (not) to have to drag it out to work on it with my iBook.

I am talking about normal ms office files and the such.

This sounds perfect for the dot-Mac account with upgrade to 1GB. Tiger will totally automatically sync your iDisk and then it's "just there" with a fast local cached copy on both ends.