How do I burn stuff? (new Mac switcher)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got a PowerBook with a SuperDrive and I can't figure out how to burn CDs and DVDs. When I put in a blank CD/DVD it says "This disc could not be used because the disc drive is not supported." However, the drive plays DVDs fine, and even erases DVD-RWs. The only thing I can think of is that the CD/DVD media I'm using is for Windows only? The same media works fine on my Averatec laptop.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Stedwick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    Are you using any software such as Roxio Toast? This software should allow you to burn cd's at will. If you don't have it I would recommend getting it. I have a pb and use Toast all the time with no problems.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    It does this with all blank media or just some? I've burned tons of CDs and a few tens of DVDs and have never seen that problem. I have seen some DVDs fail to burn which I attributed to the quality of the media. We bought some really cheap DVDs. They wouldn't burn on my PB but the burned OK on the iMac. However, we found that they would only playback on high end DVD players. Cheap players would stutter.

Some years ago there were lots of problems like this with CD-Rs. There were all sorts of forums talking about which brand of blank CD worked (or didn't) with which brand of drive.

Just a wild stab, perhaps the media is either some sort of off brand or dedicated for high speed. Just to check that the hardware is OK try an Apple branded blank DVD. I believe you should have gotten one blank DVD and maybe a blank CD-R with the PB. See if those work.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    stedwickstedwick Posts: 78member
    Thanks guys, I got it working =)

Toast works.

For some reason the finder could not understand blank media without Toast. Maybe it's because it is very cheap media, but now that Toast works I guess it doesn't matter =)

Stedwick
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stedwick

Thanks guys, I got it working =)

Toast works.

For some reason the finder could not understand blank media without Toast. Maybe it's because it is very cheap media, but now that Toast works I guess it doesn't matter =)

Stedwick

i'm with neutrino on this. if your blank media works for your own use go ahead, however, if you intend to share your stuff or for playback on set top DVD players, good quality media will increase your chances of your DVD-R playing well on other PCs and Macs and DVD players

in CDR / CDRW land i now swear by Sony media, in DVD-R land Apple Media has been stellar.