Windows Media Player and Tiger?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does Windows Media Player not work with Tiger? I just clicked on a video link my friend sent me (have it installed) and the plugin thing came up but it stayed black and wouldn't play. So I put the URL in the actual WMP program and it also did not work. But when I checked it with VLC, of course, it worked. I don't really care about the program, except I love the plugin for Safari so I don't have to copy the link and enter it in VLC, much easier to just click on the site with the video embedded, and watch it in the window.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I read on MacNN forums that it's a known incompatibility between WMP and Tiger. Given MS' lack of attention to it's free Mac apps, a fix might take a while.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Just click this link and all your problems are solved. Flip4Mac makes WMP files play in QuickTime Player. Whoa. I tried it and it works.

http://www.flip4mac.com/
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Unfortunately, it ain't free \
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Well at the download page, it says 10.4 will be supported soon. So it would just be the same problem. But thanks, I will bookmark that site and try it out when 10.4 is supported.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ichiban_jayichiban_jay Posts: 660member
    really? why is wmv working for me then? *cue creepy music*
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    WMP works fine in 10.4 for me too.