PowerMac Single 1.8 GHz ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It seems that the PowerMac G5 Single 1.8 GHz has not changed.

Does it come with Tiger?

If you order Bluetooth, do you get Bluetooth 2.0+EDR ?

I would of thought this model would drop in price considering the just released iMac now has the 2.0GHz processor, double the memory and double the size of hard drive for $1499.00

Should I skip the single 1.8GHz model and just order Dual 2.0 GHz model instead?

What real advantage is there to the dual processor models?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    If you don't want to get the current Dual 2.0, then I suggest you get the last Dual 1.8s, from Amazon.com or something. THey have them on special for just over $1600.

There is a significant difference in performance between the single G5 and the dual processor G5s. The 2.3 & 2.7 models are even better, with more memory slots, etc. Apple really seems to be letting the single 1.8 fall by the side. In fact, I don't really see who they are targeting it to. It is $1500, but it doesn't even match the mid-range iMac, in processor, superdrive, or graphics card.

I'd like to see Apple come-out with a single 2.0 GHZ, for only about 1200, with the upgraded video card, memory, bluetooth, and superdrive.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I think that the Mac mini was so successfull, that Apple is working on something similar to fill the void between the high end iMacs and the Dual powermacs.

something along the lines of:

1.8 (possibly dual core)

1 PCI express slot (if that)

max 2 gigs of ram

9600 graphics

small form factor
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by miatadan

It seems that the PowerMac G5 Single 1.8 GHz has not changed.

Does it come with Tiger?

If you order Bluetooth, do you get Bluetooth 2.0+EDR ?

I would of thought this model would drop in price considering the just released iMac now has the 2.0GHz processor, double the memory and double the size of hard drive for $1499.00

Should I skip the single 1.8GHz model and just order Dual 2.0 GHz model instead?

What real advantage is there to the dual processor models?

dual processor is almost like getting two CPUs in one tower, well, that's what it is essentially. all processor intensive stuff gets divied up between the two cpus. if you look at the benchmarks a dual-2ghz with 1ghz frontside bus as in the new g5s, would be much faster than the single-1.8ghz model with only 600mhz frontside bus...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I think that the Mac mini was so successfull, that Apple is working on something similar to fill the void between the high end iMacs and the Dual powermacs.

something along the lines of:

1.8 (possibly dual core)

1 PCI express slot (if that)

max 2 gigs of ram

9600 graphics

small form factor

i can guarantee there will still be tons of people complaining

-graphics card too weak

-only one? PCI express slot?

-only 1.8 ghz??

-pfft.. small unexpandable crippled form factor again