Questions, Questions, Questions!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello everyone -- this is my first post as I am new to these boards but have browsed them for the past few weeks. I have two questions about my current computer and also about purchasing a notebook.

I have a from what I can gather an ancient 2001 533 MHz Dual Processor G4. I am thinking of swapping out the processor and getting a Dual 1.3 or 1.4 GHz processor. I think the prices are roughly in the $600/$700 range. My questions in regards to this are:

1. Is it worth it to do the upgrade? (i.e outside of the money will I truly be noticing a huge difference?)

2. How easy is this to do? I have swapped hard drives before (I have 120 GB hard drive) and found it to be relatively simple. And are there brands that are better than others.

My other question is regarding purchasing a 14" iBook versus a 15" Powerbook. Those are the sizes I want, I am not to keen on the 12" model and the 17" is too big.

I would ideally like to get the Powerbook but am not sure about the money. I mainly want to use the notebook for writing, not a lot of graphics so I know the iBook is better in this regard. A friend of mine has the iBook and loves it but when I went to the local store here they were pushing the Powerbook pretty hard. I am probably going to wait until there are new updates on the iBook before I buy anything so it's not a pressing issue. Also, do you think they will increase the screen resolution on the iBook in the next upgrades or not?

Thanks for the help!

Chappy Sinclair

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

My other question is regarding purchasing a 14" iBook versus a 15" Powerbook. Those are the sizes I want, I am not to keen on the 12" model and the 17" is too big.

I would ideally like to get the Powerbook but am not sure about the money. I mainly want to use the notebook for writing, not a lot of graphics so I know the iBook is better in this regard. A friend of mine has the iBook and loves it but when I went to the local store here they were pushing the Powerbook pretty hard. I am probably going to wait until there are new updates on the iBook before I buy anything so it's not a pressing issue. Also, do you think they will increase the screen resolution on the iBook in the next upgrades or not?

Why aren't you keen on the 12" iBook or Powerbook? I'd say that if you're just doing writing, you might as well get a laptop which is easier to carry around.

It's doubtful that the 14" iBook will get a resolution increase, maybe not even if there's a major overhaul of the form factor. The next update is more likely to make the system better-suited to Tiger (512 MB RAM, more storage, more feature-complete video chipset) than to rethink the display.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    It's not that I don't like the 12" model, I just prefer a little larger screen. I actually think (90% certain) I'll get the 14" iBook but want to wait for the updates. I'm in no hurry -- just wanted to get some feedback.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    farvefarve Posts: 69member
    Teh 14 inch ibook it wothless for anyoune with good eyesight. It's screen does not have a higher resolution so you would not be able fit more on your screen.

If you prefer the lager screen get the 15 inch PowerBook. Sure is a lot of money but i value all teh way.

Viktor
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Okay, that's good to know. I think my certainty about getting the iBook just went down.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChappySinclair

Okay, that's good to know. I think my certainty about getting the iBook just went down.

See, the 14 inch iBook has a resolution of 1024 pixels by 768 pixels. The resolution on the 12 inch iBook is the same 1024 x 768. That means you fit the same amount on each display, but things are bigger on the 14-inch display. That makes the 14-inch not very beneficial over the 12, unless you have eyesight issues.

The 12-inch iBook is a great machine. You might consider it, or if you don't mind the low resolution of the 14-inch, you could still go with that.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    We use to do alot of upgrades to the older G4's. At the time it made a real difference to those machines. But comparing an older G4 upgrade to the current G5 is not fair. The G4 will be a snail. If you are going to use it as a server then it is worth it.

http://www.macworld.com/2003/10/revi...essorupgrades/

Compares some of the G4 upgrades. It is an older article but most upgrades since then have been for newer machines.

As for theiBook / Pbook, I would keep the 533 as it is and spent the extra money on a 15 powerbook.

reg