Becoming a Mac Programmer

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok guys,

Here is a new theory I am playing with. I am a windows developer part time and was playing with a thought. How do I break into the Mac Programming world? Is there even a need? If so how do I find it? (Looked on Monster/Careerbuilder..) Doesn't appear to be anything here in my area (Kansas City). Is this because there is no need or is these types of positions not sent out to the public?

Thanks for any info you have.

Thom

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Buy a book on Objective C, or search around for an Objective C versus C++ comparison to see how things work in ObjC versus C++ (assuming you use C++ on the PC side)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I am a VB/Asp/Sql Server/Access guy. But I will look into it. Also Do you program on the mac for a living? How did you get in the door and how did you find your job?

Thanks

Thom
  • Reply 3 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by no1biscuit

I am a VB/Asp/Sql Server/Access guy. But I will look into it. Also Do you program on the mac for a living? How did you get in the door and how did you find your job?

Thanks

Thom

No, I'm a complete noob who hasn't even made his way through the CurrencyConverter ObjC tutorial.

Also, when you install the Developer tools that are included with Mac OS X on the Mac, there are a lot of resources on ObjC and outlines of the Mac OS X structure.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    onyx-pbonyx-pb Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by no1biscuit

Thanks

Thom

If you do ASP/M$-SQL/Access then that makes me think you do some webby stuff? You could switch to PHP/MySQL quite easily (both available from apple downloads section) or you could move into Java development.

You could be doing anything in VB so not sure what to suggest on the Mac side.

What sort of programming to you want to do on the Mac? Do you really want to program for the Mac or just use a Mac as your development platform (this is what I do, develop on a mac and deploy to Windows/Linux web servers).

If you are looking to increase your chances in the job market I think you should consider the relatively small market share that Apple have and is it worth reskilling yourself? On the other hand if you have an idea for the latest killer app that will bring windows users over to the mac... get reading and coding
  • Reply 5 of 6
    no1biscuit,

I have a friend with a similar background and he does Mac programming in Kansas City. He also teaches a programming class through MacCORE. MacCORE is a Mac club in the Kansas City area. You might check out MacCore's website to see when the meeting are held. Their website is www.maccore.org

You might not need any of the actual classes but I thought it might be a good place to network or at least to meet people who are Mac programmers.

Good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    onyx-pb,

Very insightful. I appreciate it. I realize the market share is low but I have a feeling that will change over time. Plus the Windows side is so flooded with programmers. Also I want to do Mac Programming as well as program on the Mac for Windows (maybe linux). I have used PHP (Limited) and about the same in MYSQL on the PC side. Thanks Again.

Dr VanNostran,

Wow, someone in KC, Awesome. This is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks

Thom