Horrible Sounds coming from my G5

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone else had this problem?

I was in the process of trying to move some songs onto my iPod and this awful static starts coming through my speakers full blast. It took a restart to stop it.

Note:

- System volume was all the way down!!!

- I unplugged the speakers from the back of the machine and it started coming out of the G5's speaker (so it was definitely the machine.)

- I'm running Tiger

- This had never happened before installing Tiger

I normally leave my machine running. Now, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. I don't want to come home to find that it had been doing this all day while I was at work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    make sure your g5 and all your peripherals are plugged into a surge protector. any 1 item directly into the wall can cause issues.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh, I remember when that happened to my G5. It's nothing much. That mostly happens when I run VLC with the wrong settings or when I run Quicktime Broadcaster and Video Viewer at the same time. Double check your settings in Audio MIDI Setup in your Utilities folder and restart. That always solved the problem.

I know it sounds like something is shorting out, but if you listen carefully, there is a pattern to the static like white noise was compressed using come low-bitrate crapy CODEC.

It is very rare and leaving your computer on had nothing to do with it.