Mac Mini enough for "lite" video editing?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking at a Mini for secondary home use w/ a plasma, mostly for websurfing and kid's stuff. I would also like to do some basic video editing of our mini DV videos, nothing fancy, just enough to transfer to a DVD. I know this isn't a G5, but would it be sufficient enough for editing that I won't be frustrated?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    you should be ok. the main problems are going to be ram and hard drive speed/capacity. for ram, if you have 768MB or more you'll be fine. the hard drive is a wimpy 4200rpm drive, but should be ok. if you have long captures it might be an issue. also, make sure you have lots of storage. DV is 13GB/60 minutes (roughly), so measure accordingly. i would say just try it, and if you have problems, we'll go from there.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    I agree...you should be ok, but definitely go for the top model and get at least 1Gig RAM and don't expect it to be super-speedy...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

I agree...you should be ok, but definitely go for the top model and get at least 1Gig RAM and don't expect it to be super-speedy...

Thanks guys. This might be sufficient. Seems it's almost a toss up if I consider it vs a used Cube, considering there might be easier upgrades.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    trouttrout Posts: 21member
    I got a 1.42 mini with 512megs of RAM.

You can easily do what you ask.

I can download video to my mini with firewire and open imovie and edit it, and then open idvd and burn ad movie, and while burning the movie, surf the web while I wait. My computer feels responsive, and light on its feet.

You can play music in the background, have the internet open, and be switching between the internet and microsoft Word and not miss a beat.

The mini is very capable, the price is cheap, but two years ago, it was dam near top of the line.

trout
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by trout

I got a 1.42 mini with 512megs of RAM.

You can easily do what you ask.

I can download video to my mini with firewire and open imovie and edit it, and then open idvd and burn ad movie, and while burning the movie, surf the web while I wait. My computer feels responsive, and light on its feet.

You can play music in the background, have the internet open, and be switching between the internet and microsoft Word and not miss a beat.

The mini is very capable, the price is cheap, but two years ago, it was dam near top of the line.

trout

Good to hear that. One question, I plan to use this in my HT. Currently, I use a Versapoint IR combo keyboard/mouse. Unfortunately, it connects to the mouse/keyboard ports of a PC, not USB. I know of the Versapoint RF, but are there other options? Maybe a Bluetooth version?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zenarcadezenarcade Posts: 126member
    The only problem you will encounter is the time it takes to encode mp4 to mp2. Other than that, I have been dv-editing since my first iMac, an 450 MHz G3.

It is only when you start iDVD that you will miss a G5.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    trouttrout Posts: 21member
    you can get blue tooth stuff or you can just get PS-2 to USB conversion connectors. I have a PS-2 mouse and it plugs into a ps-2 to USB connector and then into my Mac mini. Then i bought an Apple keyboard, because mine was 4 years old and i wanted a new one.

It also comes with an adapter for your monitor.

Get the Mini!!!!!!

trout