Comments on the NVidia 6800 DDL video card ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I may get the Dual G5 2.0 GHz with 2 GB ram and the NVidia 6800 DDL video card (256 MB vram). What are your comments-opinion on this video card ? Is it noisy ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I haven't heard any noises out of it at all, the occassional fan comes on in my new PM, but that is only for a second, so, go and get it, you will love it!!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    My opinion is, it sucks, get an X800 XT that's arguably faster, takes up one slot, and is very quiet.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

My opinion is, it sucks, get an X800 XT that's arguably faster, takes up one slot, and is very quiet.

Why does it sucks ? Why do you think the x800 is faster ?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    scooterboyscooterboy Posts: 69member
    It blocks one of the PCI-X slots due to it's size. It's noisy due it's fan. For some things the x800 is better, for others, the 6800. Horses for courses. The x800 can't run dual 30" Cinema Displays. The 6800 can.

Also, no SLI on Apple so you can't add a 2nd 6800 later on if you buy one now.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Can you point me to some benchmarks or comparisons tests about those two video cards ?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nuggetnugget Posts: 19member
    Anandtech compares the two

Barefeats compares the two

There's no clear answer (well, unless you expect to miss that blocked PCI-X slot or you need to run two 30" displays) between the two. I went with the 6800 in my recently-ordered powermac mostly because I'm lazy and it was the simplest solution. To get the x800 involves buying it elsewhere and then finding someone to buy (or just tossing) the card that your machine ships with.

I've also seen a few (unsubstantiated) rumors of BIOS/firmware incompatibilities with the x800 and Tiger. I half-suspect that this may be why they're presently not available as BTO options from Apple, but please google that for yourself. I didn't look too deeply into that issue and I could be wrong.

Both cards have fans. Every review I've read puts their noise at about the same levels. It's just as likely that the 6800 is quieter because it has a larger heat sink and fan. It's probably not a difference you'd even notice, judging from the reviews.

So, they're both fine cards, and I'm speaking as authoratatively as I can considering I've never even laid eyes on either card