Radeon 9800 Pro Mac SE Noise?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all,

I want to purchase a Radeon 9800 Pro MSE for my dual 1.8 G5 (og) and wanted to hear from anyone with first hand experience with this card - if so, has there been a substantial increase in noise?

One of the thing's that I've enjoyed most about this machine, aside from the power, is the near silence while working but, I really need something extra for the FCP Production Suite + the occasional game and the price seems right ($279). The last thing I want to do is transform my box into a hoover.

After searching far and wide, I've turned up zilch in regards to real world experience with this card. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on what to expect here.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Maybe I can help a little here.

I installed the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in my dual G4 867 MHz, seven months ago. I brought this card because of some heavy 3D software I'm using and to play Quake3. Well, I NEVER heard anything coming out from that card, yet. The dual itself is just a bit noisy, but I never noticed anything related to the video card itself. It's a nice card.

Soon, I'll be upgrading to a 2.0 GHz (or 2.3 GHz ?) dual G5, with the ATI X800 XT video card, and I hope it wont be noisy.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have an OEM 9800 Pro that came with my rev A G5 tower.

Overall I've had good experiences with my card. I think the fan may be a bit loud however, and recently I think the card has been overheating when I play Doom 3, but I can't really confirm that and I think its just a hunch. Anyone know how I can prove this to get Apple to replace it as part of my Applecare?