Best speakers to buy?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm still debating between a 5.1 and a 2.1 sound system for my new PowerBook (scheduled to be shipped out on 5-12). The only qualm I have with a 5.1 system is that I am not sure if I will have enough room for it in my dorm.

My question is what systems should I be looking at? I've noticed that the PowerBook 15" comes with only an analog output on it's soundcard. Should I invest in an external soundcard (Audigy NX 2)?

I was looking at the Z-5500 speakers, since I can get them for $199.99. I'm pretty sure that will be my best bet for 5.1 speakers.

I havent done any research on 2.1 speakers... any tips?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Klipsch Pro Media GMX A 2.1 or GMX D 5.1's are incredible speakers at such an amazing price! Look at them on the Apple Store website. I have the 2.1's which were $150, and I was floored by them. Perfect for a dorm room.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenloof

I'm still debating between a 5.1 and a 2.1 sound system for my new PowerBook (scheduled to be shipped out on 5-12). The only qualm I have with a 5.1 system is that I am not sure if I will have enough room for it in my dorm.

My question is what systems should I be looking at? I've noticed that the PowerBook 15" comes with only an analog output on it's soundcard. Should I invest in an external soundcard (Audigy NX 2)?

I was looking at the Z-5500 speakers, since I can get them for $199.99. I'm pretty sure that will be my best bet for 5.1 speakers.

I havent done any research on 2.1 speakers... any tips?

i just went through the exact same debate. i wanted 5.1 for movies and stuff, but almost everything i edit is in 2.1, so i didn't need 5.1, and setting up a 5.1 system would have been a lot of work in my room. i finally landed on the Altec Lansing SV-4121 2.1 set about 2 hours ago. they were $100 at Staples and sound great. These speakers will double as an amp when i get my guitar, and they have plenty of punch and sound to do that. i know 5.1 is tempting, but for your situation i would choose 2.1. If you find yourself really really craving 5.1 down the road, there will be someone around that will snarf up your 2.1 set.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hodog16hodog16 Posts: 16member
    I've done some research on the 2.1's as I'm going to buy a set to go with an iMac. Didn't look at the 5.1's at all so I can't help you there.

Here are the ones I found others to say were the best 2.1's and the best prices I could find for each on the internet--if you know of them anywhere for lower please lemme know

Altec Lansing FX 6021 $210

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 $120

Logitech Z2300 $95

I listened to the Logitech's at Circuit City and the Klipsch's at Best Buy and both were very good. Haven't heard the Altec's but the reviewer at mymac.com claimed them to be the new benchmark for computer speakers.

I will probably end up getting the Altec's if I can find a store to listen to them in. The satellites look pretty sweet which is just a bonus.