Yahoo announces new low cost music store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Yahoo will offer a million songs for as low as $5.99 a month. Bye Bye iTunes

Crap

No this is in fact signifant. This not only affects Apple but it affects Sirius and XM Radio. I admit I'd grab a home player and gladly pay $5 per month for all I can eat music.

$15 a month didn't worry me. $5 a month does. Steve you better have some COOL shiza for iTune 5 and the next iPods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I wonder what kind of profit Yahoo is making off this?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I wonder what kind of profit Yahoo is making off this?

I know how can they make money? They're selling the same thing Walmart and Napster are selling.

Napster is in HUGE trouble. Yahoo owns Musicmatch which is better than Napster's crap and they are 1/3 the cost.

Apple better have some great stuff for iTunes 5.0. A $5 a month subscription offering is good stuff. That becomes a no-brainer. Apple's stock increases have been solely based on the success of the iPod/iTMS duo.

Napster's stock is down a whopping %30 today. Apple is down %8

Steve...do NOT let us down.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Very impressive. I was never interested in a subscription service, but $7/mo or $60/yr dramatically changes the equation.

Really, you're paying $60/yr to listen to music whenever (and whereever) you want, instead of Apple's rather ungenerous and restricted 30-sec. previews. You then buy to own -- at a reduced rate, no less...

Apple has the iPod to protect them for the moment, and if there was ever any doubt (there wasn't) that Apple will be debuting their subscription plan as well, this puts it to rest, but Yahoo has really thrown down the gauntlet in terms of price. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    This doesn't impress me at all. For the money, you get to download 192 Kbps WMA files that do not play on my iPod. If I decide that I no longer want the service and cancel it, the music is no longer playable. You are just renting it.

I like Apple's iTunes Music Store. If I buy it, I own it. However, I wish that Apple would give us more options for bit rate.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

This doesn't impress me at all. For the money, you get to download 192 Kbps WMA files that do not play on my iPod. If I decide that I no longer want the service and cancel it, the music is no longer playable. You are just renting it.

I like Apple's iTunes Music Store. If I buy it, I own it. However, I wish that Apple would give us more options for bit rate.

I'm not interested in WMA files, and dislike the idea of renting music, but .... for me, at least.... $60/yr changes things. I very well might pay such a fee to check out albums and see if I really like them before purchasing. I easily purchase at least a half-dozen albums a year that I really don't need to keep. Add a reduced cost to purchase music to own -- and I just might be sold.

Has to work on my iPod, though. Ay, Yahoo, there's the rub.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Evidently Yahoo is offering $7 a month or $60 a year as an "Introductory Price"

We're going to have to find out what price they plan to charge after the intro period. I'm thinking they go up to $9.99 a month or $84 a year.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

I'm not interested in WMA files, and dislike the idea of renting music, but .... for me, at least.... $60/yr changes things. I very well might pay such a fee to check out albums and see if I really like them before purchasing. I easily

Now that is an idea. I didn't think about that. But then again, the iTunes music store allows me to preview a song for about 30 seconds before I buy it. Of course, unless they give you a good 30 second bit of the song, you will not get a good idea of what it is totally like.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Evidently Yahoo is offering $7 a month or $60 a year as an "Introductory Price"

We're going to have to find out what price they plan to charge after the intro period. I'm thinking they go up to $9.99 a month or $84 a year.

Oh ho. Sneaky.

That sounds more sensible... $10/mo ... eh, maybe, but not a sure thing. Never mind.

Napster's in trouble, though.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

Now that is an idea. I didn't think about that. But then again, the iTunes music store allows me to preview a song for about 30 seconds before I buy it. Of course, unless they give you a good 30 second bit of the song, you will not get a good idea of what it is totally like.

Apple should offer a preview service that goes something like this:

1) download an album for $2.00 or the price of two songs (country specific)

2) "Preview license" last for 10 days.

3) Cannot burn the songs to disk.

4) Limit the number of "preview downloads" that can be on a computer at one time to three.

The $2.00 is credited to your account and whatever money is in there will be used to purchase music like gifts certificates work now, but it will be a separate credit which gets used before the regular (i.e. gift certificates, allowances, redeemable songs) credit does. The purpose of this new credit is to prevent someone from using the same $2.00 to get new previews.