White Spots an Apple issue?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was browsing through one of the Apple forums and have noticed that the issue of white spots has been raised several times. Now I was just about to get an iBook but I'm having second thoughts. Is this mainly an Apple issue or is it the same with other laptops?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apoder

I was browsing through one of the Apple forums and have noticed that the issue of white spots has been raised several times. Now I was just about to get an iBook but I'm having second thoughts. Is this mainly an Apple issue or is it the same with other laptops?

hi, i don't think you should let this turn you off, white spot issue has been problematic for iBooks and PowerBooks in some cases for apple laptops made in 2004. i think a new one from this year should not be a issue, my lcd screen was replaced a few months ago (covered under applecare due to lcd dying) and this 'fresh batch of lcds' i am guessing is okay, my iBook 14" lcd is looking good

~laptops do generate all sort of problems but generally you can see that applecare 1 year or 3 year-extended, customer service, reliability, etc, you won't go wrong with an iBook IMHO...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apoder

It is true with other laptops...

I have seen a Dell with white spots in the shape of a smiley face, indicating that it might have been the glue they used in that case (ie, a bored factory worker glued a screen together in a smiley face pattern)...

In any event, I haven't heard about them in some time...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Nope, the issue was resolved long ago. It was a run of PowerBooks where the screen was being assembled too tightly, and putting pressure on the LCD. They retooled manufacturing, and it went away. I had one, sent it in, came back just fine with the new screen.

If there's a burp in manufacturing, it can still happen, but that's true for any manufacturer.